Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Globish?

Herb
19 years ago

I think this article is fascinating. It'd be interesting to listen to somebody discuss gardening using a vocabulary of only about 1500 words -

Click here

Comments (11)

• John_D
    18 years ago

I guess it could be done, with the kind of combination words a Pidgin language uses:
    tall-thick-branch-tree
    low-many-pink-flower-shrub
    tall-red-flower
    pruner-man
    dead-head-girl
    pile-makes-food
    . . . . .
    Or whatever.

Maybe someone needs to write a book about this.

• Cady
    18 years ago

When gorillas and chimpanzees are talk sign language, those are the kinds of original word combinations they come up with.

• John_D
    18 years ago

Yes, but can they get published?

• Cady
    18 years ago

Well, remember those 1,000 chimpanzees given 1,000 typewriters and 1,000 years...?

• John_D
    18 years ago

The birth of the modern novel?

• Cady
    18 years ago

Nope. The Primate Primer.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Well, the ancestor of "Globish" is called "Caterpillar English" ... the company created an extremely restricted vocablulary about their products to use in wirting maintenance manuals. The grammar is equally confining, but the result is that the mechanics can read the manual regardless of their native language with only a couple of hours of training.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I searched for samples of Globish but found very few.

One of the few samples compared Globish with "American" English. But the person who wrote the "American" version was trying to insult Americans because few Americans write like that. Some people say that English speakers do not understand Globish. I do not agree. I think the sample of Globish was easy to understand. Here are the samples -

American version -

"This little tidbit of literary joy is amiable and a slam dunk to peruse, notwithstanding the fact that it has the overwhelming gall to propose a revamping of our methods of verbal exchange around the world."

Globish version -

"This book is easy to read and with pleasure. Still, it proposes a complete change in the way we communicate around the world."

I suspect that Globish is somebody's attempt to undermine English as a world language - but it will fail. Instead, Globish will help people to learn to speak English - and to enjoy doing it. Globish will help English to become even stronger.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

AX me about Ebonics.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Ax" for "ask" isn't confined to Ebonics. It used to be common in parts of England (some of my own relatives used it) and I've read that it's used in parts of the U.S.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

In my own family, I am a native Southerner (with the attendant drawl) but married into a family of dirt farmers whose English is so bad that I sometimes need a translator. Not that my own English usage is all that good but I am glad to see an improvement with each successive generation. It is heartening to see the great-grandfather mispronunce a word yet the year and a half old grandson says it right. I am a firm believer that if you can't pronounce a word correctly, you can't spell it. About my Ebonics comment, I probably never should have posted it because it could open a can of worms but I just couldn't resist.

Sponsored