Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cemetery Plot Gardens

Posted by big_john z6b LI NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 19:52

Where are the best ones? What plants shrubs alpines conifers smallish trees look best in combination on those small sites? Anyone ever design to scale a graveside planting that thrived in the graveyard environment?
Do tell.

bj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cemetery Plot Gardens

BJ
Cemetary plots would seem to come in several varieties. Are you looking for a single plot or a more comprehensive family plot?

Typical plants seem to be restricted to Yews and other long living evergreen material. One site though that I know of had thyme planted on the family plots. Apparently the last of the line had ordered a set of thyme plants/seeds and they arrived a week or so after he passed away. The decision was made to sow the thyme over the gravesite and it really does look nice.
Kate

o
RE: Cemetery Plot Gardens

• Posted by clfo z7 with luck (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 20:19

In my area people tend to plant dwarf Alberta Spruce on either side of the stone - a REALLY BAD idea because they are Really-Not-So-Dwarf. These trees cover and upend the gravestone after a few years. Don't do it.

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' on the other hand is the best behaved plant for a cemetery. It looks stylish from early spring when it pokes out of the ground, right through the summer when it blooms, and into December when there is frost/snow on the dried flowers. The only way you can go wrong with this plant is to over-water or over-fertlize it.

I just passed a cemetery the other day when I was speaking in New Hampshire, and the sign at the entry said "No Artificial Flowers - No Plantings" and I have to say that although I laughed at the sign, the cemetery was lovely and peaceful - grass and the headstones...period.

Perhaps memorial plantings should be made in other locations?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here