Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poinciana_gw

Do you use a writer's pseudonym or two or three?

poinciana
21 years ago

Many writers use various names for differing subject matter or to be gender neutral or because, while waiting to write the Âgreat American novel they make a living writing schlock, or for privacy.

Do you use a nom de plume why or why not?

Comments (9)

• johnp
    21 years ago

I use johnp here! ;-)

• pkock
    21 years ago

Maybe I should use a pen name - a lot of people seem to think I already do. :) It's "cook", btw, despite the "peacock" thing. Nah, I write about a lot of different things and use the same name, so even if I do someday write that Great American Novel (I'm trying!) even non-fiction credits are worth something to fiction publishers, right? Besides, I get a kick out of people talking about how to pronounce my name. ;-)

--Pamela Kock

• eddie_ga_7a
    21 years ago

Down south we pronounce things like they are spelled so if it is spelled Kock you can imagine how we will say it. I have two aliases of sorts. I don't write under these alter-egos but I sometimes attribute outrageous sayings to Senor Eduardo or Cousin Bubba.

• akaDenise
    21 years ago

Sure they do, Eddie. That's why Albany, GA is pronounced
    Al-Baney.

Chortling in the background.

Don't even ask me about Marietta.

• poinciana
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Kock er Âcook reminds me of Hyacinth BucketÂs name being pronounced Âbouquet.Â

http://britcoms.com/kua/aunth/reply.html

Does one pronounce cousin ÂbubbaÂs name, ÂboobaÂ? ÂConsidering that he is given to saying outrageous things and all?

Pseudonyms can be rather useful. Many writers do work in a number of different genres for which one particular name (or gender) might not be appropriate. I know a couple of people who write er, Âadult material (just to pay the rent, mind you) whilst working on poetry or the Âgreat American novel as their ultimate claim to fame. You can bet they donÂt use their Âreal names for the breadwinner materialÂnot to mention that a different gender brings out another voice.

If one becomes famous, a pseudonym can save you. I recall what happened to poor Peter Mayle (A Year in Provence). He once told me, that it wasnÂt so much the busses with the Japanese tourists that sent him over the edge, but rather, he decided to move from his much loved Provencal house, the morning he found a fan in the kitchenÂas he came down the stairs for coffeeÂdemanding Mayle give her an autograph.

• mom6nan
    21 years ago

When writing confession stories every story has its pseudonym. The writer must take the name of the heroine of the story. In gardening mags, I use my married name.

• Megsroses
    21 years ago

I once had a series of articles refused by the publisher because I used a pseudonym!
    Sure was a surprise to me. And no, I didn't cave in and let them publish the articles with my name on them.
    I just looked for another publisher that didn't have such outdated ideas...and it worked just fine! In fact, I'm still seeing my articles in reruns...thank you very much!

• phlip
    21 years ago

I use my own name, because I am - - - ummmm- -- me I guess.... haven't really thought about using a pseudonym.... would be fun in some circumstances I think....

• John_D
    19 years ago

The problem with using a pseudonym is that you may write something really good -- and have a heck of a time convincing your friends that you actually wrote it.

Sponsored