Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
big_john

The secret magic.

big_john
19 years ago

Messenger has been sent to us as a growing tool.

Harprin protein derived from plants. Supposedly a

good thing naturally rendered to tender your greenies.

I will test it shortly. My supplier at work will vouch

for its magical properties in releasing incredible growth

and beautiful copious amounts of bloom.

Anyone kill the Messenger?

I will let you know in three weeks.

bj

Comments (9)

• inkognito
    19 years ago

Big John, yours is an enigma indeed or perhaps your post is an enigma to me. You are often cryptic yet this surpasses them all. In other words..what are you talking about?

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I agree it seems a bit cryptic in its expression but it seems he is trying to say a new product, a foliar fertilizer maybe? has been sent to him for trial. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

It sounds like another fable with the moral of "Kill the Messenger". Is this a "Fibble" also? L.

• nandina
    19 years ago

Big John,
    Your crytic message received. Hopefully you will give us a complete rundown on your Messenger trials. I have been very curious about this product but reluctant to order it because the only (glowing) reports so far have been written by the company holding the patent. Look forward to your evaluation.

• bostongardens
    19 years ago

Eddie ~

Weren't we given samples of Messenger last year in Chicago? Will have to check the cellar....

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

What he is talking about ... in part anyway !! ... is one of a growing number of products resulting from a complex area of plant research that studies how molecules like proteins and other molecules like aspirin for example can interact and trigger or "signal" defense response or other physiological responses in plants ... therefore "prepping or over prepping" the plant so it can better prepare it's biology to handle single or multiple stresses such as insect attack ... fungus attack ... abiotic stresses ect...

Many of these responses are very complex since they show "criss cross" patterns where a single molecule signal can cause multiple reactions and in addition certain signal pathways may be altered by the presence of other signal molecules many perhaps unknown still ?? ... a really remarkable aspect of this research is that signals can originate in one organism and trigger a precise reaction in another organism ... an interesting example is a signal ( molecule ) that originates from a feeding insect that causes a plant to release a second chemical signal into the air which in turn attracts predatory insects to the plant that end up locating and feeding on the original plant eating insects. Very slick .. but what would you expect from a organism like a plant that is stuck in the same place all of it's life ... and can't run away from bugs !

These products are not fertilizers but often packaged with fertilizers so how one would test their effectiveness in the field as an end user without a careful research setup is a bit unclear.

It is a very fine tuned system that pervades more then the plant itself but other organisms from microbes to insects ... man ?? ... it has evolved for millions of years ... are we ready to tamper with it ???

Then again ... maybe he tested the stuff on himself and is turning into a giant carrot as we speak ??? LOL

Good Day ....

• inkognito
    19 years ago

Oh! now I understand.

• big_john
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ralph Snodsmith pushed this product on air.
    I only brought in one case, they have finally sold out.
    Two people have reported success, since powdery mildew and japanese beetles were fought off. The growth was the same
    as the previous season, but no fertilizers or other additives foisted upon the plants. Plants tested were squash, tomatoes, roses and a few other veggies.
    The hard sell was the packaging. Three foil packets sealed inside a clear plastic rectangle. Where's the 40 lb bag shiny and metallic, depicting wondrously large tomatoes and cucumbers? No quart bottle with a floral label and winged person hefting a sword? The best was the quizzical looks and raised eyebrows at the price. Expensive!? Not really if you factor what products the consumer usually devours in the name of beauty and all that is green.
    Think I'll pass next season unless the other acolytes come forth by early October, weeping in joy over small miracles.

bt

• mrsflowers
    19 years ago

I used Messenger for my roses this year and the roses look better than they have in previous years. Could be the weather??? I don't know but, I'll use it next year and make a determination then.

Lilly