Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katycopsey

digital photography question

katycopsey
18 years ago

Last week PC magazine listed a Dell 1100MP as one of the best digital buys for projectors ($799). It has 800x600 pixels SVGA (whatever that is) and 1400 ANSI lumens. Does any one have experience with these newer lower priced projectors? Are they really a decent start into the market where slides are obsolete?.

Also regarding storing the images. Someone today asked me about the gold diskettes that are made from a different material to the normal DVD-r disks. They are more expensive but suppose to last longer and with higher integrity of image. Are they really any better?

Comments (5)

• inkognito
    18 years ago

You might want to have a look at a portable hard drive for storing you images. Mac have their ipod that you can dowload to direct from the memory card in your camera. Epson have a 40GB portable hard drive with a screen. With one of these you can edit your pictures on your computer and save them there and then download to the P 2000 which you can then plug into your projector.
    You should compare the projectors performance with the quality of pictures you can take with your camera or at least the quality you need, to show them at their best. 800 x 600 is probably good enough for most uses.

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

What are you wanting to do with your images? Photos for projection and photos for printing on paper are two entirely different animals. You might consider duo storage vessels so that you can keep your masters on one device and your formatted photos on another so that you aren't hopping back and forth for each project. If you never intend to publish a photo than ignore this advice. Keep in mind that the shift to new technology seems to happen every five years so don't plan/invest too heavily into long range storage. It will be irrelevant soon enough.

• katycopsey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To clarify the question:
    The projector was for presentations of images that I have already. I went digital several yrs ago and have found that transfering the images to slides for presentations is an inconvenience and hassle that could be avoided by getting a projector. I realise from the progression in camera ability that the projectors are going to change in the future too, hence the thought of buying a relatively cheap projector. The reviews seem to be mostly geared to how they portray dvds in different rooms which is not a concern for me, but highlights the developement of these things for the domestic market rather than the commercial presentation market.

The good news is that I still have the original cards and can copy them direct to the gold ones and still tinker with the 'original' at will.
    And they said I was dumb to keep the cards! Technology is moving way too fast at times and I am no whiz at keeping up with the photo correction programs.

• jean001
    18 years ago

Consider more lumens, particularly if you'll be showing your photos in rooms that are a tad brighter than you would like. In such instances, 2000 lumens works well.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

WHY DO SOME OF MY PHOTOS HAVE A BLACK FRAME AROUND THEM AND SOME DON'T WHEN I PUT THEM ON THE COMPUTER? I TAKE THEM ALL THE SAME WAY AND SOME JUST FILL THE SCREEN WHILE OTHERS HAVE THAT BLACK FRAME.

Sponsored