Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

My relection after stumbling upon the Garden Writers' Forum

marylandmojo
20 years ago

First, I think there should be an apostrophe after the "s" in Writers, but I'm tired, and I often get confused when tired. Second, I notice the postings are generally few and far between, and I wonder if it's dilligence to other pursuits, or apathy. Surely there are more than 10 or 15 garden writers in the world. And what an opportunity many are missing. The chance to ask garden questions, I hope, is a part of this forum, even though I see none asked. The knowledge of participants in this forum is a tremendous asset, and I congratulate you all for learning enough about gardening to write about it. I certainly hope semi-intelligent questions are in order; I intend to post one, to see if I'm admonished, ridiculed, or browbeaten. There is a chance of associations to be formed, one writer with another, or a writer with an artist or illustrator. A chance for writers with many years experience to offer some tidbit of sage advice to newer writers. There is a possibility, with the collaboration of many brilliant minds, to write The Greatest American Gardening Book Ever: or who knows, maybe The Great American Novel. All this and more could happen here, and I say this without sarcasm. I'm happy to have stumbled in to see what unfolds--and if I learn nothing else, I've already read some interesting posts. Please, no greetings or salutations necessary. As a newbie here, I don't feel I warrant any. Please consider this as I intend: an innocuous little greeting, with congratulations to all participants.

Comments (4)

• veronicastrum
    20 years ago

A few responses to your reflection (yeah, it took me a few minutes to figure out what a "relection" was, but I'm not criticizing because I have many figuretip-brain misfires.)

First off, Garden Writer's Forum may be more correct, because it sure seems like there's never more than one of us around at a time. If this is meant to be a forum for many garden writers, then "writers'" is the correct form.

Second, as to your garden question, garden web hosts many forums on many topics. Click on the "Other Forums" caption up near the top of the page and you can see the whole list. Your post on the cucomber beetle may be more appropriate on a vegetable gardening forum.

Last, even though you said it wasn't needed, welcome! Hope you hang around a bit and add some life here.

• marylandmojo
    Original Author
    20 years ago

All--Sorry about "relection" which should have been "reflection", in a recent post. Told you I was tired and confused.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Writer's = thing belonging to one writer
    Writers' = thing belonging to two or more writers

"The chance to ask garden questions, I hope, is a part of this forum, even though I see none asked."
    You can ask, but your chances of having a question about actual gardening answered are better in a forum where that topic is being discussed.

The Garden Writers' Forum is for discussing writing - how to do it, sell it, and other issues about it. Musings ABOUT gardening too ... but the nitty gritty of rose thrips and how ot fix them is best posted in the Roses Forum.

• trudi_d
    20 years ago

Most of us lead a double life, and the other part, which for most must be the greater part, is what puts the bread on the table. That's the reality and that's why this forum appears to be slow. We work, we play in the garden, and then, if the musings and wit permit, we post. We do move forwards, but our speed sometimes equals that of a snail in idle.

I rarely do musings, but instead I do instructional descriptions. Right now I'm concentrating on writing more Seed Saving FAQs, I have to do the graphic illustrations or shots, edit and scale down the photos, and put in a factual but casual and encouraging How To with it. I am also learning HTML and experimenting with it on My Page.

Welcome to the forum.

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: Trudi Qs

Sponsored