Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ok

An idea - how to protect?

Paul_OK
20 years ago

I have an idea for a modification for an existing product. I think this idea would make the product more useful and more marketable. Several companies produce this kind of product.

Is there anyway to protect this idea? I would like to start contacting manufacturers. I don't want them to be able to use the idea without me. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to have to totally recreate the wheel. I would love to work with someone.

Paul

I know this is somewhat vague. I hope you understand.

Comments (5)

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Yes, I do understand as I have ideas sometimes also. I would think if you could contact the company you might explain that you have something for them but first they need to sign a contract stating that IF they use your idea you will be compensated. Don't let the cat out of the bag until it becomes beneficial to you. Good luck dealing with those wonderfully ethical people in corporate America.

• ketzel
    20 years ago

I'm not certain of this, but it seems to me that it's possible to apply for a patent for an idea before it goes into production. The other possibility would be to write down your idea, stick it in a sealed envelope and mail it to yourself and another trusted individual, via registered mail. That way, if there were ever any doubt as to whose idea it was, you'd have dated proof. Just a thought. And good luck!

• Field
    20 years ago

Write the idea down in detail and include any necessary drawings. Sign all pages, date them, get them notarized, seal them in an envelope, and put it in a safe place, such as a safety deposit box. Then start contacting prospects. As you visit with them, keep detailed records of each and every meeting -- whom you met with, when, where, and what was disclosed or discussed.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Talk to a patent attorney. You can patent a modification to an existing device regardless of the patent status of the device.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Everyone,

Thank you. This is one of those ideas that you wonder why no one has attempted it yet.

I had another idea a few years ago about a small soaker hose ring to water in newly planted trees. I didn't do anything, but someone did. It now sells for 8 or 9 dollars at local garden centers. Oh well, maybe they started on it before I thought of it.

I will write about the idea and have it notarized.

I have also considered the patent route. I may try to accomplish all the above.

Who knows I may even need to contact several of you to help if this is as popular as I think it might be.

Paul

Sponsored