Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed on interested publications

Posted by mcrean1 z8 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 04 at 12:00

Hey folks,
I'll soon complete my first major greenhouse assembly project and I have the experience chronicled and have loads of pics. I could format the material in a number of ways -- a review of this manufacturer's greenhouse (I'd be the first), a first person first-timers experience, or a how-to/what-to-look for piece.

Can any of you recommend a direction I should take and any possible interested publications I can approach? I welcome any thoughts or feedback anyone may have.

I have some regional publications identified as possible options, but one can never have enough opportunities ;-)

Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed on interested publications

You could contact Steve Giddings of Georgia Gardener magazine at: stevegiddings@cox-internet.com
or you can contact
Cindy Pugliese of New South Gardener at:
pugliese@acworthcablenet.net
Both pay close to the same, but contact each, visit their web sites, then decide.

o

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. I'm a subscriber to Georgia Gardener, but had not heard of New South Gardener. Do you know if these publications routinely take unsolicited articles, and perhaps what their lead times are?

o

Yes, they accept unsolicited articles. They should publish their lead time under writers guidelines on their sites?

o

Eddie,
I looked on both sites for their guidelines and I don't see them on-line. I went ahead and e-mailed the editors and asked for copies.

BTW, have you published in these before?

Before I close here, I wanted to say thank you so much for helping me out. Always nice to meet another friendly writer.

Thanks again.

o

Isn't this the kind of piece that Fine Gardening uses? Your experience would be interesting to gardeners everywhere, so I don't see why a regional publication would be the way to go.

Having written only for a local newspaper, I can attest that it's probably more gratifying to be published in a national magazine.

o

Digging in the Dirt has a very good point. I don't know why I only recommended regional publications.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here