Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddy_in_ireland

Surname use, your opinion, please.

Paddy_in_Ireland
19 years ago

A recent query on this site led to a very well informed and balanced response. My sincerest thanks.

You might let your minds pass over this query also, please. When I am reading, the newspaper for example, I find that I feel it rude of the writer to use only a person's surname when referring to him/her. It usually goes like this: On Monday last Mr. Michael Jones delivered an inspiring speech to the local Garden Writers'Association. Jones said that....... Later, Jones went on to say.... Of course, we all know that Jones...

I feel it is rude to refer to a person simply by their surname. Would it use up too much printspace to continue to use "Mr. Jones" or "Michael"?

What do you think?

Paddy

Comments (5)

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

I feel the same way, Paddy. The only time the newspapers here use Mr. or Mrs. is in an obituary writeup. We have lost our respect for one another and all our manners. Even the clergy and government officials are referred to by their last name and not their title. (Not that some of the government officials don't deserve the treatment!) But, sometimes I think the writings of Louisa May Alcott and Robert Louis Stevenson were so much more genteel. Wouldn't it be nice to see that for just one day?

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

It's a matter of taste.

There are a few newspapers in the U.S. (the N.Y. Times is one) that always refer to someone mentioned in a news story as Mr. or Mrs., no matter how many times their name is cited).* I find this rather stilted and overly formal.

*the one place the Times doesn't do it is in the sports section. Guess they think it would sound silly to refer to "Mr. Jeter".

• inkognito
    19 years ago

Multiculturalism and equality is best served by missing out assumed religion or sex. Also, if the person is a Frenchman would you use Mr. or M. and a woman Mme. or Mlle.? If a Chinese person is Lao Liu, is he Mr. Lao or Mr. Liu or Ms.Liu?
    I think the overall tone of the piece determines what you call someone.
    "As a plantsman Christopher Lloyd is second to none. Mr. Lloyd has continued to be adventurous in spite of advancing years. The plantsman's Gloucestershire garden is.... yadah yadah"
    In piece like that, 'Christopher' would be out of place as would Lloyd. Mr. Lloyd works as does Christopher Lloyd, 'the plantsman'could be used judiciously in my opinion.

• mcrean1
    19 years ago

If one were to pull back the curtain, it's may be more of a business decision than anything else. Less words, more room for advertising and thus advertising revenue. It could also leave room for more content which is necessary in a heavily competitive market for consumer attention. As one editor used to harp, "Brevity, brevity, brevity . . . make it quick and make it count."

My humble two cents, of course.

• luvmyducks
    19 years ago

I thought this was a very interesting question. I, too, find it a little rude to use a person's last name without the courtesy title.
    I did a quick survey of my gardening magazines, and 3 out of 4 used last names without a title. Sigh.
    I say, use the title if you like it. Let the editor take it out!
    Becky

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting