Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadowgarden

Should I ask?

shadowgarden
18 years ago

I sent out three chapters of a book as a query to a bunch of publishers. Within a week I had a call from one asking for more. I sent out four more chapters(Yes, John, Aunt Irma)that was two weeks ago and I have not heard a peep since. Should I contact them to see if they got it and or like it or should I pretend to be cool?

Comments (7)

• Cumnock
    18 years ago

Shadowgarden, what is your book about? I'm presuming plants, or gardening. I took a look at your "page" and I'm guessing that you will be illustrating your book.

I have no experience in dealing with potential publishers, but if they're asking for more chapters, that would be a good sign. I wouldn't pretend to be cool. I think I would try to at least pretend to be businesslike and professional, and ask for feedback.

Good luck!

• John_D
    18 years ago

Only two weeks. Give them time. Publishers usually move very slowly. The fact that you got a request for more is very encouraging!

Best of luck! I'm looking forward to reading the finished book!

• shadowgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is kind of a humerous novel, thing, not about gardens although gardens do figure in here and there.

• pinetree30
    18 years ago

Expecting a publisher to reply in 2 weeks is naive. Oil tankers learned how to turn around by watching publishers. Publishers think THEY are cool, and there's nothing to hurry about. If your book is timeless and not pegged to current events, your publisher will recognize that there's no hurry. But you should be yourself, and don't worry whether an anxious inquiry gives a publisher a gas attack. Use your telephone.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I think one month is a fair amount of time to wait before following up with a brief, friendly inquiry as to progress. Then another month. Then decide how serious this particular publisher is and move on or wait longer, if it looks promising.

• katycopsey
    18 years ago

Shadow
    It is interesting that I am going thru a similar dilemna. I sent a note to a publisher to update their files for book reviews. I mentioned at the end what I was doing in my own garden and if they would be interested to let me know. They responded that a proposal would be good (obviously checked the existing books on the market and found only one, from an English guy reprinted in 01). I sent the proposal on June 15th - 6 weeks ago. Assuming publishers have at least quarterly meetings, I figured that 12 weeks would be tops for the reply. That puts us close to the Garden Writers conference. I would really like to know if it is garbage before I go to the conference and find out!!!!

• margad
    17 years ago

Have you heard anything more from the publisher? I can't wait to hear more about Aunt Irma.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA