Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinetree30

The Virtue of Writers Not Writing

pinetree30
16 years ago

This forum may actually benefit from the silent obscurity of its members. First of all, because most of what we write is little more than scribbling which shouts out to be edited. And secondly, because anybody who opens a vein -- a synonym for writing -- other than for pay is an idiot. So the best writers forums are those that nobody writes to.

Comments (11)

• eddie1
    16 years ago

That makes me feel better. Oops, sorry for breaking the silence.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Catch 22: "Catch-22 can be expressed as: "C requires (implies) A and B; If A then not B; If B then not A". In formal Propositional logic symbolism this can be expressed as "C => (A ⧠B), where (A => �B) and (B => �A)". In this example, in order to leave the Air Corps (outcome C), you must be both crazy (proposition A) and request to leave (proposition B). If you're crazy (A) then you won't request to leave." Just in case anyone thinks that I am an idiot, I didn't write this, some idiot did.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

But more importantly, you would have to be crazy to want to stay in the Air Corps, therefore by asking to leave you are confirming that you are NOT crazy.

Please do not construe this as actual participation in the forum; this is merely a clarification.

V.
    "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Do I sense a pulse? Is it only cynicism? Is there life in this thing still? Or is this merely scribbling? Or shouting? Or a run on sentence?

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Like a stubborn old goat that refuses to die, this forum responds well to predictions of its demise.

Sort of reminds me of my parakeet, Pete. When I was about 8 years old, my parents took me to a fair and I told them I was going to win a bird. My mom knew the odds were stacked against me and let me spend fifty cents pulling tickets at the bird booth. Sure enough, I won a parakeet. Then my mom shifted modes and started telling me that the bird probably wasn't very healthy and wouldn't live very long.

Of course, that bird lived over 10 years and came to haunt my teenage years, when he would squawk endlessly at me when I turned on the kitchen lights in the morning. There was more than one cranky morning when I wished that my mother's dire predictions had come true.

Personally, after not haunting this forum for several months I've started to hang around again. I keep thinking that there could be a future career path for me that doesn't invlove cleaning up other people's mistakes. I have connected with someone who gave me some good pointers on how to get my toe in the water, so we shall see what happens!

V., not running on but running off at the mouth

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Oh well! Being amongst such virtue makes me want to vomit.

• katycopsey
    16 years ago

I was impressed that you found all those little symbols and still were able to find time to thump them all out in a post! That's making writing difficult. Plain English is fine with me!

• pinetree30
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another virtue of not contributing to this forum is that it denies profit to the predatory GardenWeb. Contributors give up their rights in their scribblings to GardenWeb. If GW were to publish those scribblings and make millions, none of those millions would go to the foolish charity-prone writers. So make sure anything you put on this forum is ungrammatical, superficial, blatantly stupid, offensive, and as entertaining as a puking armadillo. Actually...we may already be there.

• katycopsey
    16 years ago

Pinetree
    I find that your post is rather strange. In the 24 months or so that I have been associated with this board (more off than on) it has provided some fruitfull incite, some strange ideas, and some helpful comments, alongside many other nonesense or 'just for fun' posts. What I would be surprised by would be that Garden Web would find anythingworth compiling, let alone make a profit from. Yes, there is a chance but really just blogging gives that chance, not to mention writing for newspapers and many magazines. Life is too short to be paranoid about what someone might do with my post in the years to come.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

I am not sure if anyone else caught this on the TV the other night but it seems that there is a new book out, I missed the author, about writing. Don't you know that pinetrees comments, posted here for anyone to use, have been picked up by this woman and she has plagiarized this to suggest that all garden writers are reluctant to share, she even mentions a8nal retention as a cause. I just thought it was ironic, I wish I had caught her name or the name of the book.

• katycopsey
    16 years ago

>>Don't you know that pinetrees comments, posted here for anyone to use, have been picked up by this woman and she has plagiarized this to suggest that all garden writers are reluctant to share, she even mentions a8nal retention as a causeWell that does surprise me.Is it a closet writer that is scraping our comments, or a 'regular' poster. I use regular in a very general term here as sporadic would be better account for activity. Its not even spring - this board used to be active every winter and die off in spring.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner