Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reference Books for Horticulture Copy Writing

Posted by heathert511 zone5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 13:21

I work for one of the big tag producing companies as a Horticultural writer. My manager thinks Hortus Third is outdated and should only be used for Historical references only. Is this true? I find the information very sound. Are there some better reference books out there? What about a good botanical dictionary. Is there one out there to use? Are problem here is the proper use of naming conventions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reference Books for Horticulture Copy Writing

Heather, welcome it IS important to call things by their right name and you guys writing those labels complete with cultural instructions, what a responsibility. I think William Stearn is the recognized authority on botanical Latin and he did compile a dictionary. The RHS 'Plant Finder' seems to be cutting edge and have been calling buddleia buddleja for years but still insists that lupine is lupin. As long as you are consistent, consistently accurate that is, and blame it on your source I guess you are covered.

o

The basic information in Hortus III is sound, but it doesn't reflect currently used nomenclature. It also doesn't include the vast numbers of plants that have been introduced in the nearly 30 years since its publication. I check nomenclature for one garden book publisher and write for another, and they both use the American Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants as their primary reference. The previous edition was in 1997; the more recent one was released last October. While it has some flaws (such as some questionable hardiness zone ratings), it is quite comprehensive and about as current as you can get. Good luck!

o

For what it's worth, Dave's Garden still considers Hortus to be the authority when it comes to botanical Latin names.

o

With names changing on what appears to be a far too regular basis, and heat zones now being increasingly recognized, the online sources seem to be the most up to date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here