Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vilandra

Long-Term Poisoning

vilandra
16 years ago

I have an idea for a short story to be used for a forum-based group. I'm not writing the story for profit, just for fun. I'm in the mood to complicate the life one of my favorite characters just a little bit more.

In this story, a close relative is being poisoned. In fact, he's been poisoned over a period of time, with small amounts of the toxin administered through a favorite drink. If I can, I want to stick to a poisonous plant, preferably one that causes seizures. Thus far, though, my research has only turned up fast acting plant toxins and and sites that list the affects the plants have on animals but not on humans. (I know that if it is toxic to animals it's normally toxic to humans, but there are exceptions, as I have found over the past few days.)

I'm only able to use the internet as a base of research as all the local libraries are not yet opened. I'd have to take a very long drive to get to the next one that actually has legible books in it, and even then it's selection is poor... I've found several very useful websites, but I have yet to put my finger on the plant or fungi that would best be used for my purposes.

So, I seek assistance here. I thought with all the knowledgeable gardeners about that someone might have a few ideas. If anyone doeshas any ideas, or has any useful websites, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance! Meanwhile, I'll continue in my search. :)

Gracious thanks!

~ Vila

Comments (6)

• inkognito
    16 years ago

If you google on "Poisoners Handbook" you will find the information you are looking for I am sure.

• vilandra
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you much, hun. :) I've found a lot of information pertaining to the film "The Young Poisoner's Handbook", which is relevant and useful, along with a very interesting site with some ideas. That coupled with the research I conducted since my original request for help have helped immensely. (So, thank you again!

I'm playing around with one of some of the plants that contain lethal doses of cyanide (I'm amazed by how many plants contain cyanide, especially potatoes), which, with chronic ingestion, reacts just the way I need it to for the story. I just need to find something that isn't overtly bitter and thus easily detected.

I am also toying around with the possiblility of oleander. I just need to do more research on chronic poisoning versus instant lethal poisoning, and from that determine its practibility. Thus far I've only found one documented case of oleander being used to poison in small, reoccuring doses, and I need to actually order a copy of the report in order to obtain details on it. I just might do so, though.

So, if anyone has more ideas or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, once again. ^_^

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I'm no scientist but I believe the oleander dosage needed for your delayed effect would too hard for an ordinary murderer to measure. I was always told that one drop could kill over a hundred people.

In my past life I raised llamas. There was a case of some llamas being killed by a poison in a wildflower - a type of Senecio found on the prairies. Evidentally the poison is slow acting and forms crystals in the liver. By the time the animals were dead the plants were long gone (I think it took six months). There was no treatment and no indication of a problem until it was too late. And the wildflower was common and looks like every other yellow blooming composite except that it is a spring bloomer and the poisoning appears to happen in the fall because of the delay.

I always thought tropical poison dart frogs would be an interesting weapon until I learned that outside of their native environment they lose their toxicity. It's all because of some poisonous ants they eat in the wild and not in captivity.

• botann
    16 years ago

Cyanide tastes like a peach pit. Ask the guys in a plating shop. I worked in one for a short time once. It wasn't my 'cup of tea'.

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

One plant-based drink known for causing seizures and other neurologic problems with chronic intake is absinthe.

By the way, "oleander tea" has achieved some popularity among a credulous fringe as a purported anticancer agent.

• growgirl_grow
    16 years ago

Did you look up anything on Ricinis

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH