eddie_ga_7a

Define Gardening

eddie_ga_7a
21 years ago

Sounds easy doesn't it? Try it.

Comments (19)

• pkock
    21 years ago

Gardening: the act of growing plants for pleasure.

• acj7000
    21 years ago

Gardening: knowledge of treating the diseases of trees and plants, of nourishing them and determining their age. From the kamasutra.

• Photo_Dad
    21 years ago

Gardening: the act of growing plants for pleasure.

Been 100°+ most of the summer here. Don't know as it's been real pleasurable yet, trying to get a bunch of own-root Austins to take...

• eddie_ga_7a
    Original Author
    21 years ago

It can be all things to all people. Whereas it may be exercize to some it is relaxation to others. One generation ago a garden was where one raised food, now it is generally where one raises ornamentals. If you grow any living plant I suppose that qualifies you as a gardener but I really hate it when the green industry does a survey and lumps lawn people in with true gardeners.

• gardenbug
    21 years ago

Contol of one's outdoor environment.

• SageAndThyme
    21 years ago

therapy for one's soul

• johnp
    21 years ago

Gardening: Messing around with the plant kingdom in the out of doors

• junkmanme
    21 years ago

Gardening: verb; the body-destroying activity of helping Mother Nature perform at her best, while putting her into our own "little molds", although only temporarily. Doing it (gardening) for masochistic, back-breaking fun. (Generally the activity of "ne'er do wells" and "back-fence gossips".

• apprehend
    20 years ago

Performace art.

• John_D
    20 years ago

A garden is a place where you meet Nature on her terms while she mets you on yours.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Creating a stalemate is not my idea of gardening John. Why does 'Nature' begin with a capital letter and not 'you' or' yours'? I think what I am trying to say is that your post makes no sense at all and this coming from someone who thinks garden writers are beneath him, not to say "silly".

• John_D
    20 years ago

Stalemate?

Harmony, n.; pl. Harmonies. [
    1. The just adaptation of parts to each other, in any system or combination of things, or in things, or things intended to form a connected whole; such an agreement between the different parts of a design or composition as to produce unity of effect; as, the harmony of the universe.
    2. Concord or agreement in facts, opinions, manners, interests, etc.; good correspondence; peace and friendship; as, good citizens live in harmony.

Unfortunately, some people (and not only gardeners), are incapable of grasping the concept.

As to garden writers: I do not disdain them; I merely bemoan the fact that so many of them do not take the time to hone their writing skills.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

For instance? Show us an example.
    Here you are on this thread suggesting honing skills and on another you say that writing to the extent of one's ability is too much like work. Curious, as is the suggestion that two forces meeting on their own terms leads to harmony. Perhaps you call a cymbal clash harmony? Or perhaps your writing skills require a bit of honing.

• John_D
    20 years ago

"you say that writing to the extent of one's ability is too much like work" -- I guess "irony" gets frozen out in the frigid north?

• acj7000
    20 years ago

No, we have irony here John but it's meaning is obviously different. Up here Irony is the intention behind a remark, an intention decided in advance not a cop out when someone calls you on a one line snipe.

• John_D
    20 years ago

acj:
    You obviously don't get it. Time for me to drop out of this fruitless discussion (I try to avoid sterile gardening efforts).

• apprehend
    20 years ago

facetious 'adj' Indulging in,characterized by, or marked by wit or humor

The just... "adaptation"... of parts to each other, in any system or combination of things, or in things, or things intended to form a connected whole

If there is adaptation on either or both sides this will produce said harmony. But when both sides insist on their own terms a "clash" is inevitable...

He's got you friend fess up...

• apprehend
    20 years ago

Found this today and had to add here. I thought it was perfect.

The most intimate relationship a person can have with the Earth.

http://www.loudzen.com/garden/index.html

• johnp
    20 years ago

thanks for the link and quote, apprehend. a nice inspiration in this darkest week of the year.

Sponsored