Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardens to see in the Boston area

Posted by saul368 z 7/9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 23:46

I'm going to Boston for three days after the GWA symposium in New York next month. This is my first time in Boston. Any suggestions for gardens I should see in the area. I'm looking forward to the "Gold Coast" Public Gardens on the tour on Monday, September 13.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardens to see in the Boston area

Garden in the Woods, Framingham, and the Arnold Arboretum,
Jamaica Plain.
I'm sure there are many more ...

o

Such a short visit. So much to see. An often overlooked treasure is the Mt. Auburn Cemetary in Cambridge. A taped guided tour is available, either walking or driving. This would also be your chance to see the world famous Glass Flower exhibit. An oooh-aaah experience. It used to be at the Peabody Museum in Cambridge, but I understand it has been moved to another location. Ask at the hotel for directions.

o

Be sure to walk in the Cambridge area with your camera. There are some fantastic home gardens there.
Coleen

o

The Public Garden, with its world-famous Swan Boats, is very popular -- as is Boston Common with its Frog Pond. A walk down Commonwealth Avenue to the Arlington Street entrance to the Public Garden will reveal many lovely front-yard gardens.

The Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) on Huntington Avenue has a lovely Japanese Garden by the West Wing entrance. Nearby is the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum with its incredible Italian courtyard garden. From both museums you can walk to the Victory Gardens (community gardens) and the Rose Garden in The Fenway/Park Drive area (best done in the daytime; maybe ask for directions at the MFA information desk).

If you can visit Brookline (Route 9 West from Boston), there's the Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site.

(note: copied from other post I've written)
(also: Rose Garden is supposed to be closing for refurbishing. Not sure if it has begun.)

Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here