Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkock

Groups & Becoming a 'Garden Writer'

pkock
20 years ago

First off, what are your favorite writing groups, garden-related or otherwise? Are you a member of local groups or e-mail lists that you use for networking and getting information and inspiration?

Secondly, what would you say makes someone a "garden writer"? Does a garden writer need a degree, that "master gardener" certification, experience in horticulture? Does he or she need to have published articles on gardening, or simply a passion for the subject and the desire to write about it now and then?

Just curious to see what you have to say....

--Pam

Comments (44)

• trudi_d
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Passion for the subject is primary, the rest will follow if desired or not yet acquired.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

My favorite garden writing group is the Garden Writer's Association: www.gwaa.org and I really don't know of any others. The fact that someone writes about gardening makes them a garden writer. That alone is the singular criteria. A degree in a related topic - horticulture, design biology, journalism would help but is not a requirement. Master Gardener credentials? I don't want to say too much for fear of putting my foot in my mouth. I am proud of my Master Gardener credentials but I feel that progran was not very instrumental in my becoming a garden writer. I feel funny about calling myself a garden writer and not being published in the more popular garden publications but I have received compliments on my writing from people whose opinions I respect. I suppose you could call yourself a writer if you write but it lends credence if you have been published somewhere. My life revolves around gardening and yet writing and actual gardening are sorely neglected. I keep saying "After I finish this I will go back to writing" or "If I only had the money I would do this and that to the garden" (as if I was a checkbook gardener).

• John_D
    20 years ago

What makes someone a "garden writer"? An inability to write?

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Maybe the ability to contribute more than a one line snipe John.

• John_D
    20 years ago

Is this the same acj who defended himself on another forum by saying,

"My mistake, I thought I was amongst friends therefore protected from such judgemental attacks. Never expose yourself, parasites are everywhere"?

• acj7000
    20 years ago

If you don't understand my point from what I posted above I don't think you are likely to fair any better with something I wrote on another, unconnected issue.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Gentlemen. go to your neutral corners. While there, read the original post and focus on that and not on what others have to say.
    Back to pkocks query - I would like to add that it helps (as far as I am concerned) when the writer has an adaquate vocabulary and at least tries to spell correctly. Of course we all make typos but I read an article once where the writer was chastising everyone for spelling it crape myrtle when it should be crepe myrtle. Of course he was wrong, it's the other way around.

• bothersome_bertha
    20 years ago

After lurking for some time, I just felt compelled to point out that someone calling themselves a writer of any sort should certainly know the difference between "fare" and "fair." How very interesting.

• clfo
    20 years ago

Pam,
    A "garden writer" writes about plants, gardening, and gardens... a "garden writer loves those subjects and feels compelled to share that affection with others. We share our failures, our passions and our frustrations. We write about our weeds.

I personally view gardening as a metaphor for life, so when I'm writing about gardening itÂs about the plants and practices and about something more. And I think that gardening is GOOD FOR PEOPLE, and, because I think itÂs good for people I want them to be successful at it. I am writing (and speaking) about life/growth/horticulture.

For those reasons I think that the term ÂGarden writer doesnÂt narrow my focus, it expands it. ItÂs a term that makes a very large subject SEEM smaller. If youÂre open to it, itÂs all about growth.
    C.L. Fornari

• RaymondeSJ
    20 years ago

Thank you to C.L. and others ~
    ... for your comments on being a Garden Writer.

I believe that when you love something so much that it comes straight from the heart, out your fingertips and escapes in your words ~ that is "writing"... It is the act of love made manifest in composing and expressing yourself through this medium. That, and that alone, makes you a writer, whether you are published or not. It's just another form of soul-work.

Blessings
    Raymonde

• acj7000
    20 years ago

I checked your members page bertha, it seems that you joined up just so that you could correct my spelling, now THAT IS interesting!

• shenandoah
    20 years ago

That's why she's called bothersome.

Like I've been saying, there are some mean&crazy people lurking on this forum.

• heathernijoli
    20 years ago

Wow. I don't think I will come back to this negative forum again.
    Thought it would be a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.
    Had no idea it would be so ugly in here...
    Heather

• Paul_OK
    20 years ago

Everyone, step back, smile, and pretend to be a nice person. We spend time lamenting the lack of activity here and then someone trolls a poster. What a shame.

If you don't like it here... don't let the virtual door hit you on the way out. If you would like to chat about writing stay and enjoy.

(I didn't know that spelling and grammar are graded on this forum. How do i do?_

Paul

• AngelaInSacramento
    20 years ago

While not a writing group, I've been helped tremendously by the articles on Moira Allen's website Writing-World.com (http://www.writing-world.com/freelance/index.shtml). As a matter of fact, I credit the site (and Writer's Market) with helping me get my first magazine article published. While Moira Allen does sell books on her site, the articles are free and there are a lot of them.

If you want to know what sells, how to write a good query letter, when to query versus sending an unsolicited article, how to overcome writer's block, etc., the website is invaluable. I find it inspiring too, because it helps me corral all the ideas tramping around in my head.

No matter how passionate you are about gardening, you still need to write well, focus your ideas, and submit your writing in a manner acceptable to an editor.

One thing I've learned about people in general... some openly share their wisdom out of sheer joy for the subject while others covet. Some will only share what they know for a fee. Some are genuinely happy for your successes. Others, sometimes even friends, are not.

As the extremely successful Robert Mondavi said in a college commencement speech, "Be completely honest and open. I never had secrets. I would share my knowledge with others if they would share with me. I always had confidence that there was enough room for all of us."

This message board could be a lot more lively and useful if (nearly) everyone had such a great attitude...

If you don't get the inspiration you're looking for from those of us lurking or posting in this forum who are still trying to find success, look for it from those who have already made it. Read all the books you can, take classes, write some stuff and send it out. And send it out. And send it out.

• Aurore
    20 years ago

I'm a garden writer. I decided to write all about my garden on my web page. Well that's what I thought, but it turns out I can't write. My father is an English teacher, but none of it rubbed off on me. I decided the best way to present my garden "observations" was to put them in a diary format because diaries are often informal musings. This way if my english stinks and I dangle a few participles people won't be as critical as if I were trying to pass myself off as a literary scholar. I hope a lot of people on the garden web will create a webpage for their garden and not let grammar stand in the way.

• mdvadenoforegon
    20 years ago

Tools are handy. And books are tools. I like compact tools.

A nice book someone told me about was by Strunk & White. Less than 1/2" thick.

The title includes "writing" and "style in its name, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment to give you the correct title. "Guide" is in the book's name too.

It was useful. One paper here has limits; 1500 words or less.

The Strunk and White book explains how to reduce 2 sentences into one that states the same thing.

I learned how to make my 2500 word explanations into 1400 word explanations.

Another decent book was called something like Words and Word Abuse. A good book to ward off subtle attacks of advertising vocabulary.

• pkock
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I like compact tools too. I rather wish my husband felt the same way. If he did, I might be able to park in our garage. :-)

Strunk & White's Guide To Style was a required textbook for my high school AP English class and still occupies a handy spot on the bookshelf by my PC, beside my dictionary, thesaurus, and other writing books such as "Formatting and Submitting Your Manuscript".

I will admit, I don't consult S&W as often as I should. But I do appreciate any advice for effectively reducing verbose writing. In my experience, there's no substitute for needing to do just that for an assignment. Many times I've been assigned a 450-word column and my first draft was at least twice that count. Chopping words without sacrificing content is an art, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to practice it.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

"The Elements of Style" is the title of the book being referred to. Responding to the original post: I would say the single most important thing you need to be a garden writer is experience.

• pkock
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oh geez, what'd I call it? Guide to Style? Kind of close, I guess. Goes to show that at 1:30 a.m. or so I'd better keep my (figurative) mouth shut. ;)

• mdvadenoforegon
    20 years ago

One of my favorite study subjects is Figures of Speech.

Currently, I am typing examples of figures of speech, that may be included on my website.

I'm tossing that idea around, because most of the material deals with the Bible. I don't want my website to gain a religious nature. But I may tuck a link in on my links page for acquaintences, and others, that might want the material.

Interesting about that subject - maybe the most complete book (accurate book) on Figures of Speech was written by Dr. E. W. Bullinger. In the book, he explained that the Bible contains about 200 figures of about 220 known to man, with almost 40 varieties of some figures.

Dr. Bullinger explains the figures syllable by syllable, showing how the historic names document the way each figure of speech is supposed to function.

The practical side of this - figures of speech are powerful.

Sometimes a figure of speech will enable a subject to be added into a publication figuratively, that the publisher would never allow at all if written literally.

(That book is a thick tool - it is to words, what the sledge hammer is to a spike)

• icreate
    20 years ago

Pckock

Thanks for the interesting questions

Favorite group
    We started an aspiring writers group. There is just a handful of us, and all of us are published, some were not when we began. We dont discuss copyrights etc. It is more about accountability and success. Someone discusses his 2nd book and contract for third, and insecurities. Others talk about their local articles or their new sources for publishing. Every other week, when we meet, everyone is required to fill out a form on what I hope to do, and what I did. We are also required to keep a running list of article ideas. Some are garden writers, some travel. We are diversified..

"Favorite resource" writersmarket.com

"What makes someone a garden writer" a love of gardening.

bridgette www.creativesculpture.com

• John_D
    20 years ago

'"What makes someone a garden writer" a love of gardening.'

Plus the ability to write well?

• Aurore
    20 years ago

Yes, the ability to write well is important, but so is the ability to express yourself and get your point across in an informative and entertaining manner. You can always find help for your writing skills. Isn't that what editors are for: )? Hehe just kidding.
    I want to suggest a book for those interested in writing, not grammar, but writing and the source for creativity. The book is called. "If You Want To Write" subtitled, "A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit" by Brenda Ueland. It is designed to help you find the writer in you.

• Pumpkinhead_MS
    20 years ago

Hi all, I don't think that a 'garden writer' is limited to writing about just plants and flowers. As devoted as we gardeners are to our passion, we don't think exclusively about gardeing,we also think about families, romance, jobs, and more. By knowing who your audience is and the issues that are important to them, you as a writer can choose those topics that are relevant to your readers.

An example of this would be an article I read in a recent gardening magazine about the life of bees. The article only mentioned plants when it discussed pollen collection. The article stayed focused on the daily activities of the bees.

• shadowgarden
    20 years ago

Sometimes I believe that the ability to "write well" is overrated. Or, perhaps, it is merely misdefined. A garden writer needs to have something important to say on a relavant topic and be able to write it in such a way that others will read it, understand it, and want to know more.

Do not misunderstand me, important to say need not be heavy, humor, whimsy, and irreverance are very important.

• Jennifer_Ruth
    20 years ago

RaymondeSJ, what you wrote is truly beautiful and sums up exactly how I feel. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it into words.

Jennifer

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

John D.
    If you like a good argument, go over to the site "Sustaining Our Environment"
    The contributors on that site, whether they write well or not, are constantly printing articles with which they hope to prove their point. Also they are often quite forthright and not the type to back down. You might enjoy that site. L.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Gardeners and garden writers are usually nice people who write about what they enjoy. They are usually kind hearted people who write from their soul. Technical folks write for other technical folks, but garden writers write for everyone.
    Coleen

• poppa
    19 years ago

Hey Laa Laa, where's that site? I don't see it as a forum here and i feel like bopping somebody in the nose today...

I actually i have this need to be argumentative at times and i'd rather do it in a forum that's used to it. Although this one seems a likely candidate! *Grin*

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

Poppa,
    If you really want to take a look... the web address is http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/sustain/ ....or some variant of that. Have fun. lina.

• magnolia2017
    19 years ago

A writer does not need a degree stating that he/she is a writer. Instead, the writer needs to have a love for their craft and an understanding of the language. I've built my library of writing and gardening books slowly--in fact, many of the books I have were either used or remainders. There seems to be a misconception that one has to invest a great deal of money to become a writer, when in reality it is one of the least expensive (and unfortunatley least paid) professions to break into. If you don't feel your grammar is up to par, ask someone to look it over. It may make the difference between a sale and a rejection.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Yes, I agree that no one needs a degree to be a writer but that you need to have grammar skills and know how to spell (something which several of the most aggressive wannabee writers posting on this forum lack). But I disagree when you say that writing is one of the least paid professions.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I know that there is someone somewhere who makes a decent living by writing but if I had to rely on writing for my livelihood I would have been dust blown across a hardscrabble, sun-baked Georgia garden a long time ago. Which brings up a question: If pay for magazines and newspapers is so low then where are the paying jobs in garden writing?

• hayefield
    19 years ago

I guess it depends who you're writing for. I have a few magazine clients, and they generally pay 75 cents to a dollar a word. Even at that rate, I'd really have to hustle to line up enough work for dependable income. (Basically, I count my magazine income as gardening money.) Work-for-hire books generally range in the 30- to 40-cents-a-word range, but I make up for the lower income in volume. Each year, I work on two 90,000-word manuscripts, each of which turn into approximately 300 book pages. The income is good, but the tradeoff is having to write what the client wants. Royalty books provide more opportunities for fun writing, but the income is harder to predict, since advances and royalties vary. Other good sources of income in garden writing? I've found that editing, checking nomenclature, and reviewing photography (to make sure the plants shown are properly identified, for instance) are all intellectually and financially rewarding.

Nan

• LeahB
    19 years ago

This is my first venture into this forum. It's been interesting reading over the various opinions and degrees of passion that have been expressed related to gardening and writing (please excuse the passive voice-I'm not expecting a grade on this comment).

I live in an extreme climate and I love to read garden books and magazines for inspiration, but much of the information published doesn't apply to my heartiness zone. I've dabbled with the idea of starting my own e-magazine with more information directed at northern gardeners. I don't expect that it would contribute to my family's income, however, the experience may help me to develop a garden-writing style that suits quirky gardeners like myself.

My opinion on this topic, then, is that a garden writer needs to demonstrate a knowlege of horticulture and design first, temper all of that expertise with a sharp wit, and tie it all together with crisp grammar. If grammar is a problem, just keep working at it. Read books that have good reviews. After a while, you learn to recognise your bad habits and correct them on your own.

• geoffbryant
    19 years ago

I agree that it's difficult to make a full-time living as a horticultural writer. I decided early on that I had to be able to deliver the complete package - words and pictures. I'm now happier to be photographing than writing, but being able to do both is a definite advantage.

I've been doing that for nearly 15 years and I've been lucky enough that if there's been a writing drought the pictures have carried me along and vice-versa.

Also, a writing portfolio that includes both royalty-paying and contract work helps to keep the bills paid.

Another thing I decided on very early was to let editors do what they're paid to do - edit - and not to complain too much about it. I've seen several careers, writing and photographic, damaged by excessive parental pride. Generally, the publishing houses win; don't be too precious about the odd chopped sentence or cropped picture.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Sounds like a lot of people on this forum should be editors instead of writers.

• pkock
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tell you what - I've just about given up on the "garden writer" gig.

I love gardening, and I love writing. I'm not going to quit either. But for me, trying to mix them has been far too frustrating.

It might help if I had a degree or certification, as many here do have. I approach garden writing as I approach any other type of non-fiction writing - I have an affinity for a topic, come up with a good idea, and fill out the articles with research and interviews. I don't have to be an authority, I just have to know how to find answers and explain them well. And in garden writing especially, it helps to have an eye for spotting inaccuracies.

But, as in so many other niches, readers want "experts" as writers. Editors don't care so much. Editors just want a writer that can produce a quality piece. But readers want you to know everything, and like to call you on it.

That is one reason (among others) I quit my monthly newspaper column. Readers would notice my own yard and ask why I hadn't done this, that, and etc. How DARE I have a rose suffering black spot? And if I chatted with someone and didn't have an answer to a garden question right off the bat, I must be a fraud. I'm not a fraud for heaven's sake, I'm a writer who relies - as most writers do - on an ability to find the answer, not necessarily to have it like an encyclopedia inside my head!

Okay, done ranting. ;-)

--PK

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

pkock:

First of all, I wouldn't give up on the idea of becoming a superb garden writer - simply because they are badly needed for many, but not all of the reasons given below.

In my humble, one of the best garden books ever written is "Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden" by Eleanor Perenyi. I believe that it is still in print, but if not, obtain a copy from your local library either on the shelves or through their interlibrary loan system. In reality, I believe that you should have this book on your shelves and so you might wish to explore either of the two excellent sources of new and used books listed below.

http://wwww.abe.com

or

http://www.alibris.com

Pay particular attention to her chapter on "Failure" as well as the chapter on "Pruning". I wish that I had read the later chapter while in high school as it would have made my classes in English Literature far more enjoyable and my few undergraduate classes in the same area more interesting.

FYI - the chapter on "Pruning" has little to do with the actual "pruning" of trees, shrubs, flowers, etc., but it has a great deal to do with a philosophy of gardening. Read it, learn, and, above all, enjoy!!

In short, it is her point of view and her style of writing that makes this book a very treasured gem.

The second highly recommended book in John Madson's book: "Where the Sky Began: Land of the Tallgrass Prairie". I suspect that most members of the gardenweb forums who have read the book would consider this book as essential reading in the area of gardening.

I believe otherwise.

Having been born, bred, and experienced the tallgrass prairie of Illinois for over five decades before moving to northwestern Michigan, I read this book many years ago and came to far better appreciate the construction of the prairie soil/loam and to better understand the weather and climate of the tallgrass prairie.

I can't remember the title on "soil", but there is a chapter on "The Great Weathers". Both of these chapters convinced me of the necessity of planting bare rootstock material in the fall when possible. Why, simply because there is often a rapid upswing in temperature and humidity during the month of May and June. Sometimes it is so rapid that the changes put a great stress on newly planted flowers, roses, shrubs, etc.

Besides Madson's approach, his experiences of growing up on the Iowa prairie, his style, etc., I believe that this book's regional approach should be repeated throughout the United States. I gave a copy of this book to some good friends in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She and her husband operate a wonderful B & B just north of Engadine, MI - the Sandtown Farmhouse B & B - and Caroll is a wonderful gardener, who would like to write.

A regional approach - like Madson's book - would be most helpful for northern gardeners.

I believe that a similar approach could be made for Ohio gardeners, such as yourself.

I'd write more, but we're headed to Traverse City with our grandson shortly to visit our daughter, Nicole, who is undergoing a minor operation.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute a second installment later this evening or by tomorrow.

Hope that this small contribution will give you further encouragement.

Take care and best wishes!

Bill

• pinetree30
    18 years ago

Anybody idiotic enough to "love" writing will likely produce sentimental junk. The encounter with a blank sheet of paper is a struggle because unless you are writing something to please your Sunday school class a reader with a brain in his head is a critic hard to please.

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Ron: (Pinetree30)

Quite frankly, I am offended by your last posting - not personally, mind you - but because it deeply hurts and puts down and/or attempts to kill the aspirations of so many people.

If you wish to continue to live your life at the narrow end of a funnel strictly following the "rules of composition", please continue to do so - after all - it's your life and some people - perhaps, even you - seem to be really "inspired" by Salieri, but don't trash other people's creative efforts simply because you have the pre-conceived fixed notion that all they can or will produce is little more than sentimental junk.

Bill

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Pkock:

Sorry to be so "late" in posting my "second installment", but life has its various interruptions.

The third suggested book is Laurence Manning's "The How and Why of Better Gardening". It was published in 1951 and has, unfortunately, been out of print for some time. I have an old paperback copy in my library that I also wouldn't part for in the world.

More than any book I've read, it provides an excellent discussion of the basics of a plant, it's needs, its interior workings, etc. As the one and only reviewer of this book at Amazon.com stated: "This book has the best details on grafting anywhere! Detailed explanations and methology!

Again, here's a book that has a valued and unique viewpoint that many, if not most, budding or experienced garden writers don't approach.

FYI - I am typing this post from the Central Michigan University library as I was hoping that this library might have a copy along with a copy of Eleanor Perenyi's book: Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden" as I was going to provide you with a few tempting quotes from each of the books that I've listed to date.

A fourth selection is "The Fragrant Year" by Helen van Pelt Wilson and Leonie Bell. Unfortunately, it is also out of print - but shouldn't be. Again, it can be read at or through your library's interlibrary loan system or purchased at either of the used book sources listed previously.

If you get around to reading Eleanor Perenyi's "Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden" take the time to read the chapter on "Roses" in this book. You'll find a more than interesting comparison.

As an added feature, this book has one of the best discussions and suggested procedures on the creation of either the dry or the moist form of pot-pourri that I have read or come across to date. An excellent beginning for those interested in making the moist form of pot-pourri.

5. If you wish to explore the world of pot-pourri, you'll have to read the early edition (1923) of William A. Poucher's book: "Perfumes, Cosmetics, and Soaps with special reference to synthetics" - simply because it will provide you with an excellent understanding, history, process, etc. of making perfumes, cosmetics, and soaps.

More specifically, it will provide you with specific information as to what roses the French and Bulgarians use in the making of Rose Oil Absolute, how they process the roses, what procedures are involved, etc.

And if you become really and thoroughly interested in exploring the world of moist pot-pourri, you'll also have to read books on porcelain and/or pottery with specific reference to the double lidded pot-pourri jars that were made from around the 1750's to 1840's.

Well, that's all for this evening. I'll probably finish up this posting with a third installment.

Hope this response is most useful.

Bill

• poppa
    18 years ago

Nice to see this still has a bit of green, long after i thought it was dead. Fits my gardening style perfectly.

Some thoughts popped into my head re-reading this.

Writer: One who writes.

Garden writer:
    1.) One who writes on the topic of gardens and/or gardening.
    2.)One who writes whilst in the garden.

Good Garden Writer:
    1.)One who writes interesting pieces dealing with gardens or gardening.
    2.) One who writes whilst in the garden without soiling the paper.

Professional Garden Writer:
    1.) One who makes a living writing on the topic of gardens or gardening.
    2.)One who simply takes a very long time to write about gardens and gardening while having no visible means of support.

Good Professional Garden Writer:
    Makes a living off writing about gardens or gardening and does not own the publication/website, nor is married to the publisher.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus