Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ok

selecting a topic for a book

Paul_OK
20 years ago

There are soooooo many gardening books out there. How do we select a topic that doesn't rehash all the others? I have three ideas floating around in my head. I don't know where to go to decide if one of them is worth pursueing.

Would you outline each Idea and write a sample chapter so you could submit it? I mean I would like to have something commercially successful as well and meaningful.

Sometimes it seems that I almost can't not write. I just haven't taken the time.

What do you do?

Paul

***all mistakes intentional***or are they?

Comments (11)

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

I think it would be very hard to select a topic that does not rehash the others out there. Remember the adage "There is nothing new under the Sun?" It is a combination of what you say and HOW you say it that makes your writing appealing to the reader. Look at Henry Mitchell: his books have no pictures, he introduces no new plants or topics yet he is rated as one of the best garden writers. Possibly all three of your ideas are worth persuing so you had better get busy putting words to paper.

• hayefield
    20 years ago

Before doing any writing, Paul, I'd look into possible publishers. You might narrow down your ideas based on the publishers you're interested in. (If one of your ideas is for a regional book, for instance, you'll likely do best with a smaller publisher that specializes in books for your region.) Some publishers (Fulcrum is one that comes to mind) list submission guidelines right on their websites. They're all different, but at the very least, you'll probably want to prepared a detailed outline as well as a competitive analysis (a summary of existing books that are similar to your proposed book, with an explanation of how your book would be different). On-line booksellers like Amazon.com are great resources for researching possible competing products--you can get the page counts, trim sizes, release dates, reviews, sales ranks, and more! Reading customer reviews is often a great way to find out the perceived weaknesses of other books so you can avoid those problems in yours.

Also, think about photos and illustrations. How many of each do you think you'll need, what kind will they be (how-to, plant id, garden shots, etc.), and where will they come from (your own work, a friend who's a photographer or artist, publisher-supplied, etc.)? The more details you can give with your proposal, the easier it will be for a potential publisher to decide whether to pursue the idea or not.

And last, I'd suggest preparing a c.v. or resume highlighting your experience in the field you want to write about. At this stage, you're in the same position as any other salesperson: You have a product (your idea), and you're trying to get someone else to buy it. Once you get past that hurdle and have a contract in hand, then you can enjoy the creative pleasure of actually writing the book, and the thrill of holding your first copy in print. Then it's back to the grind of promotion to get people to read it.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!
    Nan

• acj7000
    20 years ago

Originality may be the most stultifying ambition. Does it need to an original topic or the same topic discussed more deeply Paul? Or funnier or sillier. As long as there are no spelling mistakes (oy!) you should pitch all three. What do you know about England? Everything. And then Bill Bryson comes along. What do you know about using 'and' at the beginning of a sentence? Thanks for you support earlier.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This is what I imagine this board should be like. Thank you to all and keep it comming if you have anything to add to the above.

Paul

Controversy = forum life support

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

acj, you got me to thinking so I looked it up and sure enough - I spelled it wrong (but so did Paul). It's pursuing. And I'll take my 50 licks with a wet noodle. Oops, another "and." We need an editor.

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

We just need a botanically correct spell check for the forum.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

Paul don't go into this with any preconceived notions. I've worked as the illustrator on a few books and some of them from your neck of the woods and in every case the demands by the publisher were different. The level of professionalism on their part was also varied. I don't know where the ideas came from about certain styles of conduct or industry standards as far as pay or contracts or any of it... I've never seen it, every job was handled differently, every expectation was way out in left field, every paycheck was unpredictable.

You CAN tell the same old story, you can even tell it the same old way, you can even use the same old data to justify your position, success comes from how your product gets marketed. Publishers turn down perfectly wonderful ideas everyday. Its a crap shoot.

Say what you gotta say, write the best way you know how, think of your message as a product and hope the pieces fall into place (and always have a plan B). If it doesn't happen - self publish.

• pinetree30
    20 years ago

I was once told by an editor for a major publisher that the secret of success for a new textbook was to make it at least as good as the most popular competitor and noticeably different. Should be true of garden books too. Of course the second part requires imagination, and that's always in short supply.

• John_D
    20 years ago

The secret to picking a successful topic is to take an editor/publisher to lunch or dinner (or for drinks) and listen to what they have to say. Then make your suggestions accordingly. (Publishers and editors are always hungry and thirsty.)

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sounds like I need to find an editor and a good place to eat;)

Isn't that the truth though? It's usually as much about who you know as it is what you know.

Therefore I recommend the Garden Writer Association. Talk about a chance to get to know other people. Not only that but the cost is pretty reasonable.

I have a speaking engagment in Texas next year because (in part) of my membership. It only takes a talk or article to offset the cost of the membership

Paul

• soaprah
    20 years ago

Hi Paul and Everyone:

I am a writer who has been silently lurking around here for a while. I have never covered gardening topics but gardening is also one of my passions.

Paul if you don't have a copy of Jeff Herman and Deborah Levine Herman's "Write the Perfect Book Proposal...10 that sold and why," do pick up a copy. It contains a wealth of information about submitting book proposals and also gives examples of proposals that sold. Herman is a top nonfiction agent and his advice is great from selecting a winning title to writing the perfect bio to doing research to discover what's out there in terms of competing book titles---and so much more.

Herman also publishes a yearly "Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers and Literary Agents." This book is invaluable for researching publishers who cover your topic.

I wish you the best with your project and I apologize if I passed on information you already have. I am enjoying this forum and hope to become a regular!

Cheers!

Sponsored