Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

A windy day

inkognito
19 years ago

Can there be any more satisfying task than raking up a monster pile of crispy dry leaves on a windy October day? Then to build a twig fire and watch the wind carry the smoke off; a ghostly horizontal drift winding its way between the bare trees looking for a trick or a treat.

Comments (4)

• hotpink
    19 years ago

Went for a walk in the woods today. As the potpourri of colourful leaves swished under my feet I could smell the luscious fruitiness of another autumn in the air. A kingfisher skirted by the creek. "Is he looking for salmon?" I asked Tony. "I donÂt know" he replied. "HeÂs blue, a beautiful blue" I said. "And black in parts too" Tony added. I wondered if the bird would swoop down and peck the tender flesh from a salmon lying spent in the stream from the spawning.

LetÂs keep going, IÂm on a roll, I said as I continued to hike inwards on the trail. I got ahead and soon a quiet breeze swept through and past me. I thought of Randy.

Randy, the boy - whoÂs actually a man of 46, is an autistic person with a mental age of 5, but could pass in looks for a quiet teenager. He cannot speak; he waves his hands or claps them to communicate. He has blondish hair and blue eyes with a red skin condition on his rather longish face. I have seen Randy around town on occasion with the others near where he lives - a centre for the mentally challenged. I miss Randy. So does his mother, terribly  she does not want to find him "face down in the mud". So I call RandyÂs name "R- a- n- d- y" in the wind - - no answer. I didnÂt really expect one. We can only guess where Randy is. Although it has been said he can fend for himself for some time, it is bad enough when someone goes missing, let alone one like Randy, incapacitated, as he is, an epileptic who is also bipolar. We are told to check our backyards, our garages and sheds, anywhere he might be hiding.

Randy went missing from the centre last Sunday evening when his caregiver went to fetch pajamas for the group as they were getting ready for bed.

If you see Randy, call out his nameÂ. if he responds keep him safeÂand tell meÂthe walker in the woodsÂ

We need to have Randy back in this townÂ. we need to care for Randy.

• hotpink
    19 years ago

A call came late yesterday afternoon, "They found Randy today", my daughter said. "It was on the news this afternoon, didnÂt you hear?" As she started to explain, the story came on the evening news channel I was watching. Sadly, Randy was found in the 16 mile creek under deep water, 500 metres from the centre where he had lived. He was at the bottom. The divers didnÂt see him at first, they came across his body as they searched the muddy waters. Âjust a day after theyÂd called off the official search.

IÂll think about Randy, especially when I go walking. He loved walking; he was fascinated by water. IÂll not forget him, nor the many, many people who searched for him all those long, long hours for what seemed like the longest of weeks.

• hotpink
    19 years ago

A call came late yesterday afternoon, "They found Randy today", my daughter said. "It was on the news this afternoon, didnÂt you hear?" As she started to explain, the story came on the evening news channel I was watching. Sadly, Randy was found in the 16 mile creek under deep water, 500 metres from the centre where he had lived. He was at the bottom. The divers didnÂt see him at first, they came across his body as they searched the muddy waters. Âjust a day after theyÂd called off the official search.

IÂll think about Randy, especially when I go walking. He loved walking; he was fascinated by water. IÂll not forget him, nor the many, many people who searched for him all those long, long hours for what seemed like the longest of weeks.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Write a story (or book) about Randy. Tell the word why he was special in his own, peculiar way.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES