Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintergardener

Restaurants with gardens?

WinterGardener
18 years ago

Hello, I'm researching a story about restaurants with gardens for growing their own produce. So far I know about Arrows Restaurant in Maine and The Herb Farm outside of Seattle, WA. There must be others! Thanks.

Comments (16)

• Herb
    18 years ago

The Sooke Harbour House (in Sooke, B.C..) -
    http://www.sookeharbourhouse.com/

• clfo
    18 years ago

I just visited The Carter House in Eureka, CA - they have a garden but it doesn't supply ALL of their produce. It is, however, an amazing restaurant and the garden a mix of greens/herbs/flowers.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I think Shelburne Farms in Shelburne VT has an inn with a restaurant that serves their produce etc.

• poppa
    18 years ago

These guys used to grow their own herbs, don't know if they still do. Couldn't find a website.

YANKEE PEDDLER INN, 1866 Northampton Street, Holyoke 413-532-9494

Poppa

• clfo
    18 years ago

Also, if you google the words - restaurants gardens - you get to an article in the San Francisco Gate about SF area restaurants that have gardens.
    CLFO

• Ideefixe
    18 years ago

A real restaurant would need a good sized garden to supply all produce, but the Parkway Grill in Pasadena, CA has a pretty fair-sized garden.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill in Chicago grows much of his own produce. Here's a blurb from a Chicago Botanic Garden trip this summer: "Participants visit Frontera Grill restaurant in Chicago for an exclusive behind-the-scenes opportunity. Rick Bayless, chef and host of the PBS Television show MexicoÂOne Plate at a Time, opens the familyÂs organic kitchen garden for a tour given by his professional gardener, Sarah Steedman. The tour is followed by lunchÂa comprehensive spread of Mexican food created with gourmet herbs and organic vegetablesÂin the restaurantÂs private party room."

I know the Chicago Tribune and Chicagoland Gardening magazine have done spreads on his garden. It's on a city lot but is amazingly productive.

V.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

You can hit the jackpot on this subject by visiting the Sonoma and Napa Valley areas of N. California.

Not only do many restaurants grow a fair portion of their own produce but many wineries who host weekly / monthly educational and social events grow their own produce as do several of the educational food and art museums + culinary schools such as COPIA and the CIA in Napa.

Pick up a Wine Spectator or any number of the many tourist rags and or local newspapers and you will find a ton of information on this subject.

An old favorite restaurant of mine to visit that has a nice produce garden is Mustards on Hwy 29 in the Yountville area.

• hgalindo
    18 years ago

Patrenella's in Houston has an herb and veggie garden right behind the restaurant. Really lovely.

• katycopsey
    18 years ago

One interesting garden that I saw in Vancouver was supplying the restaurant with herbs and some produce. The garden was a 'roof top' garden attached to the hotel. It was not quite on the roof though - the 3rd floor, outside the swimming pool/gym area. The hotel was the Waterside, I think. I also have some pictures if you need some.

• dfaustclancy
    18 years ago

I know of two -- one is the Herb Lyceum in Groton, MA. The other is Picketty Place in Mason, NH. The Herb Lyceum has a web site. Picketty Place offers lunch and supper in a pretty setting.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Debra--How is the Herb Lyceum? It is not far from me but I have never heard of it. It's not cheap so I'd love some first-hand info.

• HerbLady49
    18 years ago

Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe, VT. Beautiful Inn, Restaurant and Gardens.

• dfaustclancy
    18 years ago

Ginny,

Some friends of mine have gone there (Herb Lyceum) but I haven't.(yet) The photos show outdoor dining and I'll wait for a chance to do that! You get to stroll thru their gardens as well as eat outdoors. Yum!

They have a lovely web site. here's some info from it: Cost: $50/per person for the January Menu--
    Amuse
    First Course
    Balsamic Glazed Short Ribs with horseradish puree and cress.
    Second Course
    Potage of Sweet Potato with thyme and onion confit.
    Main Course
    Truffled Breast of Chicken with hardy grains and rosemary potatoes.
    Cheese Plate
    Dessert
    Almond Bread Pudding with apricots and lavender.
    Coffee, Herbal Tea
    Deb

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Debra, I had looked at the Herb Lyceum's website and it looks wonderful but I will wait for spring or summer as well, so I can see the gardens. As for Pickity Place, I am sorry to say that it is quite a ride for most people and the food and gardens are just average. In addition, a friend of mine went there with friends a month or so ago and they all were stricken with a stomach disorder. She won't go back and I don't think I will either.

• dfaustclancy
    11 years ago

Here's a great local restaurant with a wonderful garden in summer. It's called Harley House in Lunenburg, MA. I'm going to try to post a photo. But their winter offerings are just as nice and they have a wonderful fireplace you can sit next to. Their Sunday Brunch is awesome because they have an all you can eat feature -- but you just continual order off the menu rather than serve yourself. They also do have a juice, fruit, sweet breads, lox, and dessert area where you do serve yourself. Give the Harley a try, I guarantee you will be charmed.

Sponsored
James McDonald Associate Architects, PC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Architects & Building Designers Servicing VA