Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Please Write a Book on Gardening in Texas

Redthistle
19 years ago

I've already read, and re-read, most of the books on gardening in Texas. I am bored! There is nothing left to read. I realize most of you don't live in Texas, but surely some writer out there does live here (it only takes one) who can produce another book...

Gardening in Texas is different than gardening elsewhere so books written for other parts of the U.S. don't apply here. Primarily, with the exception of the Piney Woods area, it's a fight to garden in Texas. It's truly the survival of the obsessed gardener that allows this state to have any gardens at all. If the heat, humidity, and drought don't kill our plants (and the gardener), then the unexpected winter dip into the teens and our awful alkaline soils will do it.

Anyway, there has got to be something left to write. I'd be interested in reading about other Texas gardeners and what they do in their gardens or perhaps describe the social aspects of gardening in Texas. Long-time gardener stories would be interesting. Example - How Lou Ann Schreiber came to Texas with her husband and small baby from Germany and began gardening in Po-Dunk, Texas and how her 66 y/o great-grand-daughter carries on the gardening tradition...Eye-candy is okay too. Photos wouldn't have to be fancy. Just let me see how other Texas gardeners scratch in their patch of dirt. The native plant aspect and designer gardens for the rich/famous have, in my opinion, been overdone.

Give me something to read.

Comments (4)

Sponsored