big_john
21 years ago

My concentration level increases with white noise

snaking around my cerebrum.

I am an undisciplined dabbler without any set pattern

towards this particular craft except listening to music,

hearing the water sounds gushing through the heating

system and occasional gunfire and screams from the ad

joining apartment. Anyone hearing voices too?

Do tell.

BTW Current playlist latest Korn, Linkin Park, Saliva

and No Doubt. I know I know, but I can't help myself.

bj

Comments (9)

• eddie_ga_7a
    21 years ago

I love the sound of a squeaking mattress. Oh, GARDEN writers? In that case, outdoors I love birds chirping, moving water, soft breezes, flocks of migrating birds and at night I sometimes hear owls. Indoors I like the music from my fathers era, plus country, old time rock and roll but no rap and no high-pitched female vocalists trying to see how high a note they can hit and how long they can sustain it. Lately I have been listening to Roy Orbison and developing a deep appreciation for his writing, playing and singing abilities. Mostly though, I like absolute quiet - especially when I am trying to think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittersweet Gardens.Com

• Havenheart
    21 years ago

I lllloooovvveee old-timey and bluegrass music when I'm garden writing about something happy...classical when I'm deep.....music of any kind seems to churn up my creative juices -- mostly instrumental so the words don't get in my way. It is hard to write when I'm clogging across the floor though.

• trudi_d
    21 years ago

Hmmm...background music? Anything to drown out the beeps and bongs of the Home Depot just around the corner. My printer is going quite often so I am content listening to the swish-swish-schwee noise of the inkjets going back and forth across the paper.

When I'm doing FAQs I have on C-Span and I listen to Senators bemoan the fate of this and that bill....I've gotten such a good vocabulary from the Senate. When I'm done working something out in my head and I'm doing assemblage and finishing the layout on a piece I like to turn on the netscape radio and listen to some classical music. It's soothing to me and reminds me of my parents office where I would do the mark-up on concertos and etudes.

I like linkin park too....my son is always accusing me of taking his cds......moi?

Trudi

• Cady
    21 years ago

I love having my ringneck doves cooing (they live in my home office), plus some mellow blues or jazz playing on the mini boom box.

• sbeas
    21 years ago

I don't like any noise which is unusual for me as I don't like silence any other time except when I work in the garden. I sleep with the tv on or I can't sleep; but when I write, I don't want anything pulling my thoughts from the task at hand. Sharon

• lazy_gardens
    21 years ago

Anything EXCEPT music with English lyrics.

• Paul_OK
    21 years ago

I'm not sure it is my favorite, but I mostly write with the sounds of garden questions being answered by my Master Gardeners. We have a very open office and there is no way to avoid 'listening' to what they are saying.

Sometimes it actually helps to fill those gaps when inspiration is lacking.

Paul

• aruu
    20 years ago

When I'm toiling I end up having the last tune I heard repeating over and over in my head. The real problem being the fact that it is never the whole song, just a few stanzas. What is even MORE maddening is getting a jingle from some t.v. commercial stuck in there..ad nauseum!!!
    One day I was blessed with none other than Homer J. Simpson singing "When the Saints come Marching In" for the entire time I was turning over my veg garden.
    Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

• dleon
    20 years ago

cicaedas (sp.?) when the windows are open and the ceiling fan when the windows are closed.

Sponsored