Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Garden Gobbledygook

Herb
18 years ago

Gardening has one weed that doesnÂt grow in the ground: it grows in print and it thrives like dandelions. ThereÂs an old name for it. ItÂs called Gobbledygook. There seem to be few weedkillers that will stop Gobbledygook, but repeated applications of Ridicule may help.

This weekend, Vivian Smith, who is a journalist, teacher and editorial consultant, has just written a great piece - titled "Gobbledygook as she is spoke" - in VictoriaÂs Times Colonist, applying a particularly potent dose of Ridicule. I think we should all follow her lead and keep a supply of Ridicule handy and spray it liberally whenever Gobbledygook shows up. (It springs up quite often in the Japanese Garden forum, but if you feel like spraying it there, beware - some posters seem to be impressed by Gobbledygook and think that it demonstrates the profundity of the taste and learning of the writer, so your spraying may be resented and indignantly denounced.)

Among other things, Vivian makes fun of one institutionÂs use of the expression "site-based decision makingÂÂ" - which sounds familiar. It makes me wonder what sheÂd have said about being told that a garden designer must "listen to the site". I suspect that, like me, sheÂd have wondered whether it would help to use a tape recorder.

Vivian has kindly said I may quote her piece more fully, so hereÂs what she says about a job advertisement from another institution (the University of Windsor) -

"ÂÂwhere they need (hoo boy, do they need) a communications director. You'll be as impressed as I was to learn this taxpayer-supported place is dynamic, innovative, experiential and student-focusedÂ. It boasts "three interdisciplinary pinnacle areas." Just re-reading that last sentence makes me want to, er, birth a verb. It is "to pinnacle," which means to achieve great heights in the mutilation of language so as to hide the fact that you have little to say. Or what you meant is not what you said. Or you don't know what you mean.

The secondary meaning of "to pinnacle" -- let's make this verb take a direct object -- is to camouflage meaning so spectacularly that the person you're talking to not only becomes confused, they feel dumb. Excluded."

From now on, when you read Gobbledygook I suggest you think of itÂs perpetrator as doing a pinnacle.

Comments (12)

• inkognito
    18 years ago

A slogan of the Plain English Campaign states that we should "write to inform rather than to impress."
    I am not sure if Herbs post demonstrates an attempt to inform us of his grasp of gobbledygook or to impress us that he is above it. Whatever the purpose it is innefective to use gobbledygook to ridicule gobbledygook.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Inkognito - Do you feel, perhaps, that you were a target? It seems to have been effective enough to provoke you to attempt a little indignant denunciation. Does the Plain English campaign also advocate learning to spell?

• inkognito
    18 years ago

Such an opaque slur was not difficult to see through Herb. Your reason for aiming it at us over here and in such a cowardly fashion is less easy to figure.

• inkognito
    18 years ago

Such an opaque slur was not difficult to see through Herb. Your reason for aiming it at us over here and in such a cowardly fashion is less easy to figure.
    Perhaps it would be more beneficial to offer something of a positive nature that is on topic, that is connected with garden writing.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Inky,

Maybe I should explain -

1. Postings in the Japanese Gardening forum are about gardening - they are garden writing.

2. This thread on the other hand is about garden writing.

3. My posting draws attention to poor garden writing.

Got it?

• inkognito
    18 years ago

And yet your example is about a job advertisment. Gobbledeygook indeed.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Of course Vivian's article is about a job advertisement. So what? That certainly doesn't disqualify it as an example of Gobbledygook.

Examples of Gobbledygook are to be found in all fields.

Are you saying that in writings about gardening, Gobbledygook is completely unknown? I concede that I don't recall ever reading Gobbledygook in the Journal of Japanese Gardening.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Speaking of gobbledegook, I saw a description of art once that was so obfuscate I sent it to my daughter who is an art major. She just laughed as it was plain someone was just trying to see how many big words they could use in describing something that is subjective. I suppose a little gobbledegook can come in handy if you're working on a degree and trying to impress a professor.
    On the other hand, if there is a shootout at the OK Corral of spelling, grammar and style, maybe I shouldn't wander into the line of fire?

• inkognito
    18 years ago

Hello Eddie: in the movie "Rio Bravo" Dean Martin plays your part and in the event steals the movie by becoming the reluctant hero. I am glad that you are here reluctantly or heroically.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Ink, you don't know how prophetic that is. I have been hanging out at the local bar quite a lot. They are going to put my CD on their juke box in the next couple of days. Speaking of Dean Martin, he was the star in the Matt Helm series and that was a shame because the character in the book was a h..L of a lot more like Clint Eastwood, not like the polyester suited Dean martin with a drink in one hand, a bimbo on the other arm and all those hollywood cliches. After reading the books those movies made me sick but I can't worry about stuff that happened years ago, I'm off to open mic night. Song writing is just another form of writing. I figured my average life expectancy to be 85 so I set up my retirement payments based on that. Then I spent a part of my retirement making this CD so now it looks like I will have to die at 80. I told the local Master Gardeners that when I am gone I want them to name their humongus compost pile after me. (see why I don't get published much?)

• poppa
    18 years ago

Gobbledygook, as it pertains to garden writing, has often been misconstrued as ineffectual within the parameters one might find imposed on that endevor. Too often it is applied in cases where the self-vindication is more important than the correct application (as proved in Brawn vs. Brain, US circuit of appeals, 1827). The resulting pressures placed upon certain common folk to "fit in" by accepting that which, under ordinary circumstances, might have correctly been tossed out as bogus, quickly finds itself lodged in spongematic minds to be spewed forth when squeezed for an opinion. But there are also clues one can use to determine the existence of gobbledygook. Anything that applies to the correctness of appreciation should immediately fall suspect, as well as anything which is offered from an expert. It is all buffoonary in the most exact sense. Heed my words well or risk exposure.

Yes, boredom strike me.

• katycopsey
    18 years ago

Poppa
    What a wonderfully vacuous piece.
    I truly hope it successfully cured your boredom!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz