Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

By ''Garden Writers'' do you mean....'

People who write columns, articles or books for money?

People who aspire to write columns, articles or books for money?

Bloggers and the like who just write and may or may not get any money from their writing?

All the above?

Others altogether that I have not thought about?

Comments (6)

• Susannes_Garten
    19 years ago

"People who write columns, articles or books for money?"
    -- if they are on the topic of gardening.

"Others altogether that I have not thought about?"
    Well, I also write garden calendars, garden catalogues, garden PR, ads, manuals, circulars, mailings etc.

• John_D
    19 years ago

I'd say anyone qualifies who writes about garden topics and gets paid for it (or has a reasonable hope of getting paid for it in the future).

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

I think you also need to include those who write newsletters for business and those who do things for free. One of the first things I did was as a Master Gardener, and I rewrote the Growing Herbs thing for the state. Did this make me a gardenwriter - not in my view, but in others view yes. I wrote for the local press - who didn't pay me either, but the clips turned into things that did pay.
    So, in essense, I realy don't know what a 'Garden Writer' means - its kinda how you feal about it yourself - for me it isn't even being paid - I will not feel like a 'writer' until someone actually accepts one/or more, articles in a glossy magazine, and/or requests that I write an article (preferably for the above glossy magazine!!), and I have more work than I can cope with!!

• John_D
    19 years ago

Do you want to amend it to "published or about to be published writer"?

As opposed to a "dilettante" who just talks big but never produces anything worth publishing? (Of course, I have to modify that because I know several dilettantes -- and obnoxious ones, too -- who were published because they knew the right people -- who edited the scribbles they turned in.)

• trudi_d
    19 years ago

A garden writer is someone who writes about anything to do with a garden..with the hopes that their work can inspire and/or educate. My work is focused to AgED and I crank out more methodical work than anything else. I wish I had the time to do more descriptive prose, but that would take away from the time (and mental energy) I need for documentation work.

There's at least two angles to garden writing---there's ideal and then there's real. Ideal is what you would love to do, but Real is going to be the mainstay.

T

• John_D
    19 years ago

I guess I'm uncommonly lucky because in all my writing I've only done the "ideal." Maybe it's because I'm also an artist.

Sponsored