Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

software

acj7000
20 years ago

Paul was recently looking for a topic to explore.

If you dare visit the landscape design forum you will discover that computer software is a much discussed subject which can lead to some heated (what is the word, something between) debate (and rant).

It seems that some people want to use the new technology to by pass the old fashioned way. This is not only true of landscape design, of course, as anyone who has driven on todays roads will testify.

The hurry must be towards some kind of nirvana. When driving it is a rush to the front, but where is the front on the road. Come to think of it where is the front in the garden. (sorry about the lack of punctuation for those keen on that stuff I am still learning my way around a new computer).

Comments (7)

• acj7000
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Let me put this question another way. It is recognised that a garden may be the last refuge from the busy, technology dense life we are forced to live in. So, should we welcome computer programmes that remind us where we planted the tulips or should we resist? (see a Question mark)

• big_john
    20 years ago

Any tool that aids me in my quest to spend
    leisure time in my garden is a blessing.
    Any software program that can wipe away the
    confused look on a client's face is priceless.
    I have noticed more people come into our nursery
    with plans in hand only to pick our brains.
    What does this look like?
    How tall really, will this grow?
    The clients can't visualise the concept and is it a
    failing of the firm's architect to sell the dream?
    Maybe the homeowners have no imagination?
    I like the hand drawn designs, but would also incorporate
    soft images to show progression of the plantings to maturity.
    Superimposing the site onscreen and filling with the
    suggested colors and textures can cut out a lot of
    anguish and indecision.
    Time is of the essence when deadlines must be met.
    Too much time is eaten up by revamps and handholding
    because a clear picture can't be formed by the client.
    The owners here prefer the old way to lend the personal human touch.
    I haven't really explored for a really good program yet
    for myself.
    I don't see technology in the garden being a bad thing.
    The computer is my friend.

bj

• rusty_blackhaw
    20 years ago

A program(me) is better than a damn.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

This is related to Gardening TV shows. You aren't gardening if you're sitting in front of the tv! They always seem to run all the garden or nature based programs at the point in the day that you would most likely be outside doing them - why can't they run them in the evening or at night?

Computer technology will expand and refine itself constantly - there is no way to get ahead of the curve. In the time it takes to master a program or function another tool will be developed. Some clients may be impressed with all the bells and whistles involved in a presentation while others will find it distracting or detached from their problem or landscape.

I think it all comes down to what your skills are. If you have the personality to seduce people into your vision of what their property might become with crayons on scraps of cardboard then those are the tools you should use. Unfortunately, bells and whistles are all the rage.

• Paul_OK
    20 years ago

I have never found a consumer program that I like. Anyone have an opinion.
    Paul

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

It had nothing to do with gardening but before I retired I used a CADAM (2D) program and CATIA (3D) program on my job and now I wish to stay as far away from those things as possible. (but I do love the Internet and email)

• John_D
    20 years ago

What software could you possible need, besides a word processing and a drawing program? They allow you to do anything you could possibly want to do on a computer.