Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

Fictional garden writing

acj7000
20 years ago

One way of "jazzing up" garden writing is to put it into a fictional context. One way of justifying an interest in plants is to give them a quality that is narcotic (Orchid Thief) hallucinogenic( Carlos Casteneda) or aphrodisiac (your choice).

We had a fun way of making digging sexy once here on the writers forum.

Is there something we have missed and could exploit?

Comments (6)

• acj7000
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am I right in thinking that there is no one who can relate to this question? Did no one spot a spelling mistake, a grammatical error or a possible start to a discussion?

Why do Italians grow tomatoes?

Is chicken sh*t good for tomatoes?

Why are tomatoes red?

Anything?....not silence please.

• big_john
    20 years ago

Tomatoes are overrated.
    They can sit in sh*t for all I care.
    Although they come in many colors they all look the same after digestion.
    Anyone can grow a tomatoe but it takes an Italian to turn them into an art form.
    I...oh, my burgers are done, pass the ketchup please.

bj

• User
    20 years ago

Are you talking about turning a piece on gardening into an erotic story?

• acj7000
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Not necessarily dian57, just looking for ways to get by the "How to prepare a garden bed" "Essential tools" syndrome.
    I would guess that Casteneda's adventure stimulated more interest in growing plants than say "The Readers Digest guide to growing herbs."
    To what do we owe a sudden upsurge in tulip growing? Could it be the way Tulipomania has been exploited?
    And since you brought it up what do you imagine "Lady Chatterly's Lover" did for the gardening profession?

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

I think the 'arty' pieces are out there but they are under a huge pile of 'green side up' how-to basics.

I would love to read a piece on how Lady Chatterly's Lover influenced the gardening/gardener's world - does it exist? did I miss it?

Reminds me of an old 'Mad About You' TV show episode where the husband (and documentary film maker) was considering a project with Yoko Ono - and she wanted to do a artsy piece on wind. The show played it off as too "out there", I've waited for someone to actually do it for years. Come on Yoko, get busy!

• User
    20 years ago

Look at what Demi Moore in Ghost did for the potting wheel, I understand there was a rush on new purchases after the movie debuted.

I like to have subjects presented in surprising ways. Sure, I know all about the clinical aspects of hormone swings, but when Martha Williamson and Robin Sheets published Raging Hormones back in the late 80's, it gave the subject a new perspective. The same subject could be approached in a more sensuous style for a whole different effect.

Gardening is one of the more earthly delights and lends itself to sensuality in my opinion.

It also lends itself to humor. Try either one.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES