Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shenandoah_gw

Ideas for Free?

shenandoah
19 years ago

What other writers have faced this situation?

An editor you work with a lot e-mails you to tell you he's planning a 'gardening' issue of the magazine and wants some story ideas. Here's the catch: the editor says something like: "what would you, as a reader, like to see when it comes to topics?..." I respond along the lines of, I'd be happy to pitch some story ideas to you, if you can assure me that I'll be writing those stories you run with, etc. Answer comes back, editor is amazed that I would be so mercenary, he was only asking me what I, "as a reader," would like to read about.

What I didn't bother to tell this Ed. is that I learned my lesson about this situation from his predecessor, who called and solicited ideas from me for a theme issue years ago. I spilled out a torrent of story topics, ending with "which ones would you like me to tackle?" and was told, 'I'll get back to you.' Never got back to me, I was busy so forgot about it, three months later I see this mag on the rack and can't believe the cover photo: it's of the story topic I recommended to the editor as the best one and the topic I told her I'd most like to cover. She had taken my story idea and given it to a new writer she was trying out. (The writer didn't have any ideas of his own???) Thing is, I realized (duh) that my ideas are a big part of my stock in trade as a writer. And when an editor calls an experienced writer they sure as heck aren't interested in what that writer would like to see "as a reader." They need ideas they can write features about, and that's why they ask writers to brainstorm for them rather than readers.

This editor didn't contact me again so I'm guessing I'm cut from the issue. But for me, it's worth the price, in the long run, if it gets this editor to think about what writers do and why magazines (and newspapers) need them.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner