Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezynosacek

Yipee! I won, I won, I won, I won!

breezynosacek
19 years ago

I've come by here a couple of times and felt like a slug on the bottom of a rock! Getting paid for writing something, for some reason, seems to finally make you a writer in everybody elses eyes (my husband's).

I won the GMPRO (Greenhouse Management Pro) magazine Dream Greenhouse writing contest, 1st place won me $500. Yipee!

Finally got published after all of these years.

Maybe now I will have the courage to actually start submitting articles to high profile magazines.

Comments (8)

• trudi_d
    19 years ago

Alright! That's great news! Congratulations!

{{gwi:1354656}}

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I'll bet that $500 is already gone but the pride in having won it lingers on.

• clfo
    19 years ago

Don't wait for the courage - just write and submit, write and submit. Do you sow seeds expecting every one to germinate? Never. View everything you write as a seed. Plant it, now... and congratulations!
    clfo

• breezynosacek
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks you all!

Yep, the $500 is mostly gone. I needed a bigger wood stove for the greenhouse to keep the temps up and I needed some more firewood and some computer work done.

I'll tell you something funny about this contest though. I had gotten hacked into, had some trojans put on my desktop from some very mean people and after all that, when they called and told me I won, I thought it was whoever had hacked into my puter making a prank call. I didn't believe it until the mag was sent and I actually saw it in print! LOL

Oh, and I got hacked again last night but I learned how to use the tools in Norton. Did you know that the intruder blocker also gives you a log file so that you can report the person that does it? Yep, my hacker was from Reston, VA. And it stated plainly right on there that the computer was stationary (not portable). Told me who's server they went through ect, ect. I think that is cool.

So, anywho, I am as happy as a pig in a pile of potato peelings.

I will remember that about the seeds.

How do you normally write articles? Do you have an idea and find the mag that will publish it or do you find one that is sort of up your alley personality-wise and try to write for their readership?

That is where I've always had a problem.

When you submit photos, are they digital or do you submit old fashioned paper copies? I am interested in writing an article for Backwoods Home. They ask for photos or transparencies. All I have is this rinky dink digital I bought at Walmart.

I would really like to submit something that would be up to par of their regular contributors but I really don't know what expectations they have. Or am I just trying to tell myself I'm not up to par?

• clfo
    19 years ago

Most publications have writers and photographers guidelines - call this magazine and ask! Most want digital (more and more the norm) or slides.

In terms of when and what to submit - try everything. Send query letters about something you are interested in writing, or if it's something you would really enjoy working on, do it first and then try to sell it. Sow those seeds in as many areas and ways as you can... something will germinate.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

If you publicize the address of the spammer and they live near me I would gladly drive by and deposit a water balloon filled with Roundup (note to Roundup, no need to thank me for this innovative use of your product)

• breezynosacek
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Eddie, thank you so much for the suggestion but I already reported them to their phone company or place of employment whichever it was. Norton gives you an email to report this stuff to.

I've got a story idea that I'm working up and I think it would be very interesting as it involves an old couple down the road. He's in his 80's and they still farm.

They have a unique setup all around and I think others would find it interesting as well, I just don't know which way to slant the article yet. They are so interesting and so peculiar!

I haven't sown any seeds today, however I did stick some ivy. Got half of a table full of it and I think I will do some more tomorrow.

• AVFlower
    19 years ago

I've tried getting published for years with limited success, but am so happy for you. Keep on writing and submitting!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?