Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apprehend

Newspapers and qarden questions...

apprehend
20 years ago

The Chicago Tribune has a pretty sad garden section encompassed within the HOME SECTION on Sunday morning. Rarely is there anything of interest. Where is all the wonderful essays I am continually running into on the internet?

The standard fodder is frequently asked questions penned by staffers to avoid monotony and garden contests. Is this in hope that people are more interested in how they stack up to the next guy than the varied selection of a particular cultivar available or what people in the business are trying.

I have looked up and enjoyed some of the writers mentioned here on this forum, somebody tell them to submit work to our local papers please...

Comments (22)

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Sounds pathetic. If a newspaper or editor is uncaring then it will be reflected in what the public is offered. Let them know you protest.

• acj7000
    20 years ago

I must say that in two or three posts you have apprehended the usual suspects. I don't think gardening is sexy enough for the thirty something whiz kids that run newspapers who seem not to realize its popularity. We writers in turn suck up and give them what they want i.e. "December is the time to put your feet up and peruse seed catalogues and make plans for next seasons carnival of colour." For the more practical there is advice on cleaning and oiling tools. Cozy. Boring. But save it for next year so that we can run it again.

• ironbelly1
    20 years ago

I have to say that in my attempts to have articles printed in the local paper, I am constantly rebuffed by the home & garden editor unless I keep things dumbed down. She doesn't want to "overwhelm" her readers. On the other hand, when those readers contact me, they always want to "know more -- please!".

I think I have a reasonably good feel for the information our locals want because I speak to enough groups throughout the local communities. I think the average person who bothers to read the garden section of the paper truly desires more than the fluff delivered -- and the same goes for the typical adult education offering.

Although the editor may be correct that Joe & Jolene only have a basic level of knowledge to work with, I also give J&J a whole lot more credit. They have a strong desire to grow beyond the beginner level and that thirst is not being slaked.

IronBelly

• John_D
    20 years ago

IB:
    You're right on. I had the same experience back in the days when I wrote newspaper columns. The readers wanted to learn but the editors were too dumb (or too lazy) to understand that.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Editors are you listening? Some of us may desire to write for an intelligent and literate audience. I suppose I should qualify that by saying I know there are plenty of publications that strive to raise the bar but right now we are talking about those that don't.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

Not that I'm defending the publishers or editors but recently I gained some insight into readership that sort of explains things. While researching the feasibility of producing a gardening newspaper for this area I discovered the stats that show that basically no one reads the newspaper - they skim over the headlines, and if the story interests them they read the first paragraph, hardly anyone reads every word even of the stories they like. And no one ever has - this is not a new thing.

And as far as subscribers or devoted readers, they are referred to as a "leaking bucket", no matter how wonderful your writing is or important your material readers will eventually leave your publication for another. Very few readers maintain a subscription forever. There is a "life" to every reader, sometimes it is long, sometimes it is short.

So, yes they could do a better job but the relationship between publication and reader is a tricky one.

• apprehend
    Original Author
    20 years ago

John, is that how you read the paper?
    I read the entire article unless it is so mundane it is completely impossible.
    I have even read articles to the spouse sprawled in front of a tv screen or reading another paper. And listened in turn or taken pages offered to read whatever has incurred interest. The garden section is poor not all of the paper.
    As for the home papers stopped reading the Suntimes years ago after every credible writer relocated. Most people stayed with the same paper out of habit for years afterwards, complaining loudly all the while.I haven't read it lately to find out if it has improved. They lost credibility.
    News magazine publications are the same if an article is well written it is read. But yes loyalties over time may be rare. There is so much to keep up with and a different perspective is wanted.
    No wonder readship is down with this mentality...

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

I think that what has changed is the attention publishers are giving this kind of research. They believe no one's really going to read every word they print so why worry about quality?

People have been complaining about the wimpy-ness of the gardening section in the daily paper for a long long time and yet nothing ever changes.

• apprehend
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ah yes target marketing.
    Do you think that is why it seems good writing is kept almost a secret.
    I have been experimenting on several small garden forums.
    Few know many of the names of the most celebrated writers in Gardening. But it is because they are not exposed to them.
    If there is one thing the middle class loves it is name dropping and, strangely, books.
    So I drop names,excerpts, and websites.
    Only after they have accepted me as a member and without sounding like an advertisement.
    It works. People ask questions, request more, and let me know when they have recieved the book they ordered for themselves or as a gift to another.
    The range of magazines quoted from has broadened beyond even my expectation.
    The average Jolene once interested in a subject takes pride in excellence...
    If we are reading your stuff will you become an outcast?

• breezynosacek
    20 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum and am reading the old posts.

I'm a wannabe writer that spent some time in the composing room. I asked my supervisor if it was true that the articles are dumbed down to 8th grade reading level. He said, "Well, that used to be the case but unfortunatley we now have to dumb it down to 5th grade because the schools are dumbing down the students."

I like to have died of shock!

Having lived in the Central FL region for almost 20 yrs. I was used to a wonderful Garden Section in our newspapers. When I moved up here the closest thing to the Orlando Sentinal was the Richmond Times. I threw the rag down in disgust! Their idea of a gardening section is a short little column and a bunch of ads.

Steph

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

My wife has a high school friend who moved to Florida where her children attend the public schools. These children and not corrected on spelling mistakes and are allowed to spell words like they sound. That sounds like dumbing-down to me.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

I think that sometimes the term "dumbing-down" is used when what they really want is a simplified version. They are aiming for a broad audience and that includes people with vision problems, language problems, dialect issues, and time constraints.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

"your material readers will eventually leave your publication for another. Very few readers maintain a subscription forever."

I did not renew a subs cription to a magazine when I stopped learning anything from it ... when the articles started repeating themselves, even the advanced topics, I bailed.

Other magazines manage to stay "new" either bevcause htey are covering a changing field (science) or have writers willing to dig out the gems left in aheavily worked-over subject.

• John_D
    20 years ago

"r have writers willing to dig out the gems left in a heavily worked-over subject" -- and editors willing to buy and publish those stories.

• breezynosacek
    20 years ago

I found out later through some school teachers that the dumbing down process is real.

For instance, the schools in FL no longer teach to read at "grade level standards".

It was explained to me that when a child gets promoted to the next grade they are given a book to read and if the book is too difficult they are given an easier one until they find one the student can read.

All of this is to keep the student from feeling stupid, left behind or whatever. In other words, there is no competition or demands made on the student to learn. Instead, students can just keep on plodding along and still get passed.

That is why, when I worked in Prince George, VA managing a storage facility one of the other U-Haul dealers came in complaining that she couldn't find any employees that knew how to read and do math. I looked at her in shock but she was serious.

Strange, but soon us old foggies (I'm 44) may be the only ones left that can run the world without causing it to self-destruct, LOL!

Steph

• sharpshin
    20 years ago

gee, you guys all sound so deprived. the best arguement you can make to newspaper editors re: garden features is pure demographics. gardening is, after all, the most popular outdoor activity in the US and a multi-billion dollar industry.
    my newspaper gets it. we started a Home & Garden section about 5 years ago and it is among the most popular sections in the paper (and quite well supported with ads). garden cover stories jump off the cover to 2-page, full-sized color centerfolds -- lots of room for sidebars, resources, plant sources, etc.
    and no one around here EVER talks about dumbing down. we like to act as though our readers are intelligent and capable. we use correct botanical nomenclature, offer lots of detailed cultural tips and try to identify top-notch, often nationally important, sources. why is it working here and not where you are?

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

I live in Marietta, Ga. which is just northwest of Atlanta. The Marietta paper has absolutely no gardening information but the Atlanta paper has an excellent gardening section even though they change gardening editors about every six months to a year. You are right, gardening is rated the number one outdoor activity in America followed by bird watching and bird feeding but I sometimes wonder if the pollsters include people who just cut their grass and shear their hedges as gardeners? I don't know why it is working at your paper and not here but you are very fortunate. I think a poll should be taken as to which papers have gardening sections and which do not and the ones that do could be rated. Probably never happen.

• ironbelly1
    20 years ago

"why is it working here and not where you are?"

Perhaps this is really the wrong question. The above thread only gives further credence to the general lament. Raising the bar should prove successful wherever it is attempted. However, a newspaper that "gets it" still remains an exception -- a delightful exception.

IronBelly

• mdvadenoforegon
    20 years ago

Newspapers...

If you can't get it in the garden column, does it have the "meat" for the opinion section...

{{gwi:1354660}}

If you can't go through them, go around them...

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

In New Orleans we have about five good reporters who truly knock themselves out regarding gardening and the environment. One reporter in particular is devoted to saving trees in the urban environment and does excellent coverage about endangered trees and "tree schools." She was partly responsible, through her writing, for helping me(through the Live Oak Society) save an ancient oak, "Old Dickory", that was to be destroyed for a new state highway,an Army Corps of Engineers drainage system and a residential subdivision. The road was rerouted, the drainage system revamped and the subdivision developer donated the land upon which Old Dickory lives to public trust.
    Every Friday we have a huge column about gardening, as well as upcoming garden events. At least twice a month, the Friday feature in The Living Section is devoted to gardening in the New Orleans area and features someone's garden and special interest. There is also a Friday question and answer column. Thank heavens that none of these reporters dumb down anything. We have enough "dumb" in the news as it is.

• alpiner
    19 years ago

I find many Canadian newpapers are chock full of great garden writing. Here in Calgary, Alberta we have regular columns throughout the garden season and, now and again, garden feature stories.

I clip a lot of them for 'relevant' info on local garden plants, ideas for our climate, etc. Maybe it's not the newspapers in your areas that are the issue but the the lack of dynamic writers who make the subject interesting.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Just when I bragged about The Times Picayune in New Orleans' wonderful garden section on Friday's, they moved everything into a tabloid on Saturday. It is now combined with real estate. Gone are the wonderful large, color photos of gardens etc. Tabloids, who need 'em? Good to line the duck cage.
    Coleen