Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apprehend

Fireflies and slugs

apprehend
20 years ago

The decline in fireflies can be blamed on many causes.To much light at dusk in urban areas,short lawns,and complusive cleanup of garden debris to name a few. Can nostalgia for our collective youth bring about firefly gardening and thus the control of slugs and ugly hosta syndrome?

Comments (7)

• John_D
    20 years ago

I'm not quite sure about what you are trying to say? Are you claiming that slugs and hostas are detrimental to the well-being of fireflies? Please clarify.

• apprehend
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Firefly gardening-gardening in a way that does not destroy the habitat of fireflies.
    Could the memories of chasing fireflies and the enjoyment derived from watching our children chase fireflies be enough to start a new trend.
    If so maybe those slug eating firefly larvae could help keep our hosta beautiful.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

I often wonder what will be the next "celebrity" theme. After butterfly gardening started I figured other pollinators would step into the limelight but it looks like dragonflies and damselflies will be first in line. Anything that wakes people up to the importance of insects is a plus in my book.

• Paul_OK
    20 years ago

I have been firefly gardening for several years now. At least I have been if letting the lawn grow is considered. Maybe I need to write an article for the local paper so that my neighbors know what I am doing.

Can't you just imagine what the neighbors thought when they heard the County Extension Horticulturist is moving in next door. I bet they expected meticulous lawn care and a few flowers. Well, I hope they like flowers... cause there is little lawn care going on.

• John_D
    20 years ago

It's certainly a lot better than chem lawn! And, yes, I do think you should write about it. You might inspire some of those neighbors.

• eddie_ga_7a
    20 years ago

Made me laugh Paul. Felder Rushing once said the same thing - that neighbors were expecting something else when a County Agent began gardening in the neighborhood. He fooled them. I too am a terrible lawn person. I keep reducing mine by encroaching on it with pine islands and flower beds. I have a small lawn in front and down one side but that's it. There is NO lawn on the opposite side and in the entire back and this is a cul-de-sac, pie-shaped yard where most of the one acre property is in back. Hey, I'm a gardener, not a lawn maintenance man.

• trianglejohn
    20 years ago

This reminds me of years ago when a friend who was at the time in charge of the horticulture department at an amusement park, was asked to be interviewed by the local paper for a feature on the home gardens of local gardening leaders. She and many of the others on the "hit list" were horrified - she could never explain to them that gardening was what she did all day and not what she did at home. Her yard looked awful.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County