Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich_in_zonal_denial

cold call solicitation - your opinion please

Three times within the last month I have been contacted by three separate writers who are putting together their own books on garden design/ construction.

Each writer has an editor and publisher all ready set up and was fishing for photographs of certain types of garden projects and a description that went along with the project photo.

The first time I was contacted I thought , 'why not, what have I got to lose', and sent off my photography CD and written info.

Then last week I bumped into a high end professional garden photographer and she said a few things that made me have second thoughts about submitting photos and the short descriptions in to unknown writers.

Basically it boiled down to not knowing the quality of the finished product and how ones work will be presented.

I admit , I'm naive when it comes to this publication stuff and was wondering what those in the industry generally think about this, .. both the pros and the cons.

Thanks.

Michelle

Comments (5)

• John_D
    19 years ago

Don't hand over anything like that without a signed contract that specifies your rights in exact detail -- and the cut of the profit you expect to get.

Make also sure the contract spells out what credit you will get for your contribution.

• jenizone5
    19 years ago

I've always given away intellectual property. I know it isn't considered wise in our culture...I could get paid for it. However, I believe that we all feed off the free exchange of ideas and that by channeling some of my ideas to someone out there who is able to manifest it, I too benefit. Yet if I do have an idea that I keep to myself and do nothing with, no one benefits.
    In this instance, well what harm with even a bad representation? Will clients be lost? Will you be any less good than you are? But some of us might be racheted up a notch.

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

I have a book called, "Insects, Pests and Diseases of the African violet Family" which is in the hands of my editor and will be printed this spring.

Since the subject is so technical (bugs and diseases) I looked desperately for photos of different insects. I found some on a forum concerning AVs and immediately wrote to the photographer. Her permission was granted and I now have some valuable photos showing what I need to "beautify" my book. Thank heaven for amateur photographers.

Nancy

• shenandoah
    19 years ago

John is right. Your products: a garden design and photographs of that installed design, entitle you to compensation and protection of your product. The writer expects that, and so should you. If you were collaborating with a writer and/or publisher on a book project that would be different, because you would negotiate a contract up front before starting the project. But in this situation you are the equivalent of a freelancer -- they need you to provide very specific art -- and donating your work doesn't make any sense when you are a professional. I would recommend forming a stock response to requests such as these: sending the writer or editor a letter of agreement in which you briefly spell out your terms (for instance, are you covered if the book goes through a second printing? Or they use your photos/projects in publicity? Or they decide to make a DVD from the book and your material is used again?) , specify the number of stills/designs you are providing, and suggest a fee for the material used in this initial edition. Make the letter friendly, and polite, but also make it clear that this is a reasonable expectation on your part.

This should cut out the shoestring projects and the publishers who are looking for freebies and will help to ensure that your work ends up in polished, high-end publications only.

• John_D
    19 years ago

Mich:
    Did you ever resolve this?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!