Return to the Garden Writers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newspapers

Posted by katyCopsey Z5bPa (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 04 at 21:54

For the last few years I have contributed columns to a small regional newspaper in N Virginia, as well as some local newspapers (eg Pittsburgh Post Gazette). I would really like to increase the number of newspapers that accept my work. For practical reasons I prefer to write for areas I have experience in (not the south or California!), and I prefer that they are non competing markets, but finding the contact person and getting a reply is laborious. One problem that I have faced is the amount of newspapers that are owned by other presses and thus do not make their own decisions. Another is that the web pages have very generic 'contact us' forms.

As the New Year tends to bring new freelance budgets, I would like to redouble the effort.

Is there a better way to find the appropriate editors than googling 'Weekend'/'lifestyles' or whatever and looking for which ones use their own writers vs. generic columns from the wire.
Any pointers out there would be appreciated!
Katy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newspapers

Good luck. Self-sydicating in the garden field is very tough, because many papers are only interested in a very local writer, or, more than likely, will use garden articles from a service or from cooperative extension which gives it to them free.
The most I ever did was three small papers at one time. With the amount of time, cost of duplicating, and mailing costs to get clips to many papers, I found that they lead you on, even accept your ideas, get a month's worth of articles, and then never publish them, and you get no pay. Maybe larger papers are better, especially with features rather than regular columns.
Again, good luck. My advice would be to expand your topic areas. Although I am not writing much any more but started with garden columns (and am still doing that), I expanded into general agriculture, foresty, and the bluestone industry, all of which are important in my local area. I did articles not only for small weekly papers, but for trade papers covering those industries, so selling an article twice or three times to different audiences was the norm.
Again, good luck.
Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Writers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here