Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

when to wintersow vegetables

Trying to figure out when I can start wintersowing my more cold hardy vegetables here in upstate SC.

Comments (16)

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I haven't gotten replies because it's a dumb question, I don't know but just wondering if I should start now or wait another month. Does it really matter since the seeds will sprout when they are ready anyway?

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

sow now!

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

I thought you were supposed to wait to sow annuals until March or April so they didn't sprout early and get frozen. But this is my first year WSing so I have no first hand experience...

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's why I asked. This is my first year with vegetables, second with flowers.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Hopefully, more people with veggie sowing experience will answer. It's not a dumb question at all. I would think in z7 you're okay to sow the ones that can take colder temps now. Which ones are you thinking of? Like broccoli, cauliflower and such? I would wait for heat loving ones like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. Even though I've w/s'd for years, I haven't tried vegetables yet, so I'm guessing.

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

I'm in 8b/9a and we have lettuce, carrots in the ground all winter. I would think that you could almost grow the lettuce in a milk jug and actually harvest baby greens from there. But.... we are having a much colder winter than usual....

If it helps, I "wintersowed" Brussel sprouts in Nov, put them in the ground in Dec. They are just sitting there doing nothing, but at least have a few more leaves

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

I would sow everything now except things you direct sow like cukes or beans. Everything else, tomatoes included, can go out now. As you said, they'll come up when it's time. I do my tomatoes in late january or early february.

Is broccoli a spring veg where you are? I would think it gets too warm too early. Even here in southern PA I've had no luck with spring broccoli, cabbage or cauliflower and am switching to fall for them.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

As I suggested earlier, sow now. For cold tolerant veggies, they will handle what mother nature throws at them and will sprout when it is time. Cold sensitive crops need more care/consideration.

regards, Tom

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Here in zone 6 CT, I sow my vegetables later, like in March. But it's more because I sow a little at a time (maybe 4 to 6 containers a day, 3 days a week) and I do my perennials first, then my annuals, and then my veggies.

The exception for me is lettuce. I sow it in February so I can start eating baby lettuce asap! And I don't WS green beans at all - after several attempts where the seeds always seemed to rot, I just direct sow them later.

Your zone is warmer, so my experience may not apply. But not a dumb question at all. Good luck and have fun!

:)
    Dee

• claydirt
    9 years ago

Bottom line is there are warm season crops and cool season crops. Many or most "cool season crops" can handle some frost. "Warm season crops" cannot. You can do a web search on these 2 phrases and get a real good idea what vegetables are in each category if still unsure.

One of the retail seed companies (I've never ordered from them) has an on-line spreadsheet for calculating when to start seeds indoors and the "setting out date". The "setting out date" is when you may be able to direct sow safely based on your last frost date. Google e-pdgseedstart.aspx and you should find it. Unfortunately, the weather is not always predictable.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

The question is when to wintersow cold hardy crops.

Wintersowing is just that... wintersowing. Sow now, watch to make sure the containers don't dry out and seeds will germinate when it is time.

regards, tom

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

the other option is to sow some now and sow some in a month... keep notes and report! :-)

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I did sow broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, and radish, over the last few days. Yes, broccoli has to be grown early here before it gets too hot. I have no idea if it will make it but I figured it's worth a try and if not, I can try again in the fall.

• engineeredgarden1 (NW Alabama) 7A
    9 years ago

Your climate is almost identical to mine (North Alabama), and I have tried to grow every vegetable that you can think of during different times of the year - by both wintersowing and transplant methods.
    Sadly, broccoli just isn't feasible grown in the spring here - because just as nice-sized florets begin to form, the temperature will cause them to flower. However, if you put transplants in the garden on the first of October, you'll be harvesting a good crop around the 15th-20th of December.
    I have been wintersowing veggies for years, and it is an absolutely wonderful method for most things.

EG

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EG thank you for sharing your experience with the broccoli. I will make a note to follow your directions in the fall. Have you winter sown tomatoes squash and bell pepper yet?

• engineeredgarden1 (NW Alabama) 7A
    9 years ago

You're welcome. No, I haven't sown them yet - but they can certainly be done now...

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro