Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Who in zone 5 - 6 has sowned vegetables?

pitimpinai
13 years ago

I would like to start vegetables early, but I am not quite sure whether it is too soon to sow anything now.

Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yuk...sown...sorry.

• karendee
    13 years ago

I sow tomatoes now and they work out just fine... (and some herbs)

The rest of the veggies I spring sow them so I would be curious if anyone else sows veggies early...

Karen

• dorisl
    13 years ago

Today I did some Bok Choi (or some kind that was cold tolerant) some fennel, thyme and dill.

Ill get some Kale and Swiss Chard going when the snow is gone, also some Cabbage, brocolli, lettuce Almost time for peas!

Ive been doing good with asparagus also, so Ill plant the last of my seeds soon.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

For what it's worth--last year I WS lettuce on March 7 and it sprouted March 24. It thrived in whatever conditions Ma Nature threw at it from that point on. I WS tomatoes March 28; they sprouted April 29 and grew on without a hitch the rest of the season, producing an abundance of fruit. Those were the only veggies I experimented with since it was my first year to WS. I'm doing those again this year but I'm sowing LOTS more lettuce and the seeds are an heirloom French Romaine called Cos Rouge de Hiver that's supposed to be table-ready in 60 days.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I've WS most of my vegetables. Tomatoes, Peppers, Kale and squash. I should of waited but we had 60F,.

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

I WSed two cups of tomatoes this morning, a rutgers and a cherry tomato. I have many more to do. May try the lettuce and swiss chare soon. Last week, I WSed oregano, parsley, cilantro, mint, marjoram, sage, and thyme. I'm a first time WSer so you can't set your plans by me, but fingers are crossed here.

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

i have ws cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe...alot of things. guess we will see.

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I've got lettuce (mesclun) and arugala sown.
    Last year I did lettuce and kale and broccoloi and spinach. All of these can be sown while it is cold, and they germinate really quickly.
    seven days on some if I recall.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Are you WSowing them?
    Our temp is still in the upper 20s - lower 30s here in Chicago.
    In fact, it's been snowing everyday.

I'll try some lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, radishes this week. I'll keep beans and herbs for later

P.S. We are having our garage rebuilt. The builder suggested that we move it closer to the north fence. I am jumping for joy here, because it means I'll have a 6' x 18' new gardening space! That's a good size for a vegetable garden! My friends are amused, because I am more excited about new gardening space than about a new garage. lol

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

More excited by new gardening space than a garage? Perfectly understandable.

• cottagedreamer
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie, but I've sown chives, onions, leeks, thyme, oregano, and dill. We have over a foot of snow on the ground, so I'm hoping for the best. I've read to save the tomatoes to the end of march for this area. I guess this will be my test year.

• ccoupkir
    13 years ago

Hi Mone .... Can't believe you are getting more garden space. Good for you!!!! I believe you have to be careful with wsing any bean type veggies as they mold and rot quickly. I have done all kinds of lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Mediocre success however. I would think that in another 2 weeks you should be good to go!

p.s. limas on their way soon!

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Pitim,
    not sure if your question was for me - yes I WS'ed all the ones I mentioned.
    still snow, yuck.
    Altho the cold weather vegies will like it, I wouldn't.

• karendee
    13 years ago

More gardening space, YEAH!! I know you will have a great veggie garden.
    Karen

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Ok, those of you who have sown broccoli already, do they transplant well?
    I will be doing several different ones,never before having sown broccoli,and only guessing on what to do.
    Thanks for you input.
    Last year I did tomotoes,and peppers,sown end of April,up in the first week of May,I kept them covered at night because I was affraid of frost,was that not nessessery?
    Thakns again,
    cAROL

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Yesterday the first couple of sprouts showed up among my kale and Mizuna (Asian greens). This is my first attempt at WS anything. Hoping all goes well. Next winter I will have a larger space and will WS some more veggies.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Newbie here, since December, I've wintersown...

tomatoes
    cukes
    tiny pumpkins
    birdhouse gourd
    Chinese cabbage
    delicata squash
    mesculin lettuce
    hot & sweet peppers
    onions
    swiss chard
    beets
    broccoli
    cardoon
    turnip greens
    meadow garlic

Not sure if it was too ambitious, the spring will tell :)

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

So far I've done snap peas and cilantro. I've also started tomatoes bell peppers and some peas inside for a work friend. I'm holding off on WS my toms and peppers for me until mid-March. We always have a few late snows and I don't want to end up killing sprouts in a cold snap. Supposed to be 65 today!

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

I planted a salad mix Friday night before bed and had sprouts Sunday morning!!! Crazy. :)

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I stopped at a flower shop here a month ago and the lady had romaine lettuce growing in a pot outside.