Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Chicagoland Annual plant swap

sheltieche
13 years ago

Reminder

Chicagoland 5th annual plant swap will proceed as usual Friday Eve 5-7 pm Memorial day weekend.

If you were there previous years do not forget to stop by and if you have any new gardening friends bring them along! If you live within driving distance to North Chicago suburbs we would be happy to see you and show our gardens.

Everything goes- seedlings, divisions, cuttings, separate table for garden related items and table with snacks. Separate area for prearranged trade items.

Previous years we would start post here regarding who has what to bring and people will ask for plants to be set aside with their names which will go to that area.

We had a blast previous years and hoping for this one to be as successful!

For more details, questions and address, please send me email.

Comments (98)

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

Linnea-I'd love some daffodils. I don't have any yet and the garden probably needs some :o)

Also, if anyone has any lily of the valley to share, I'd like to add some to the shade garden.

Thanks!

• dorisl
    12 years ago

hey happy! anybody with any LOTV has some to share! lol! Ill bring some of that for you. I tried to move all it from the front direct sun garden, but a bunch of it came back up there. no worries about that one!

:)

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

Oh, those schmooey trilliums! I've been admiring them for weeks now. Along with many other goodies from last year.

If anyone can spot me a bit of pink dicentra spectabilis, I'd love that.

I don't know for sure what I'll bring, but I know there will be ferns and smilacina. Maybe also valerian, Virginia waterleaf, sweet cicely, aster, monarda, geraniums, chocolate joe pye, variegated ribbon grass, forsythia, plume poppy, chocolate mint, campanula, impatiens 'noli tangere,' extra seedlings, etc. I also might have a baby rosa glauca and a kalopanax septemloba (someday this will be a big, thorny tree, and I'm not promising it's not an invasive). Golden creeping jenny. Scabiosa ochroleuca. Maybe filipendula 'queen of the meadow.' Sweet autumn clematis. Agastache nepetoides. And other stuff too.

And normally I wouldn't think that lily of the valley would be on anyone's wish list, but since it is, I'll dig some. I have way too much.

No one wants any stinging nettle, do they? It's not bad eating/tea-making.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

happygardener, I will bring some daffodils for you! Plus more for others who might want them. They have a beautiful form.

dirtdiver, I'd love some Monarda. Red, right? Mine all died ?! And I thought I had a great colony going. Plus, if you have enough; some sweet autumn clematis, chocolate Joe Pye, and campanula (short or tall?).

Does anyone have Verbena Bonarensis? I loved that, and it died out. Ditto my tall Veronica. :(

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

Linnea, I think the monarda I'm thinning might actually be pale purple. I can't quite remember. The campanula, I won't quite know what I'm digging either. It could end up be a punctata or something akin to ladybells. Either way, proceed with caution. I'll probably have plenty of sweet autumn clematis and the Joe Pye.

I know I'll also be packing some tovara 'painter's palette' or whatever they call it these days.

And maybe some more polite plants too.

12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, dirtdiver. Pale purple is one of the colors I have too much of: I only want red in Monarda.

And, I think I'd better stick with well behaved plants. My garden is getting too big for me to chase after runaway plants: or maybe I'm getting slower?!

• jas_il
    12 years ago

dirtdiver, can I have pale purple Monarda?

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

dirtdiver- I would love some of the variegated ribbon grass and if any of the campanula happens to be white, they would be delightful too. As for the LOTV....I figure that if I can get it to overpower the garlic mustard that is trying to take over the patch of yard between my bushes and the neighbor's fence it's the better option by far.

• dorisl
    12 years ago

pachysandra is good for blocking stuff out too
    :)

• motria
    12 years ago

Yay, me too! :-)

Well folks, I'll be back with a slew of 2nd-year Baptisia australis (blue false indigo) seedlings. Also a couple chunks of perennial sunflower (helianthus microcephalus) and some monarda 'Cambridge scarlet' orginally from Mone and 'Raspberry wine'.

Wish list: Dirtdiver, I'd love a piece of Scabiosa ochroleuca.

Anyone have some Solomon's Seal, cimicifuga (snakeroot), or any other awesome shade plants?

See everyone soon!

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

doris-sign me up. If it beats weeds, I'm in!

motria-is the Baptisia australis a really tall variety (some are shorter and some seem to get huge)? I am in love with this plant that they have at my daughters' school but theirs is huge and would be too giant for my flower bed or I would have already pinched seeds. If yours is a more compact variety, I would love a seedling or two. They're so beautiful.

• motria
    12 years ago

happygardener - sorry, my baptisia is the honkin' big variety. Yep, they are gorgeous.. my seedlings all got snapped up last year at the swap.

• rolrod
    12 years ago

I saw someone asked for hostas. I also have some of the white-rimmed variety, if anyone would like. I am still trying to identify some of what is coming up. I think I have a lot of local prarie plants that I've never seen. I'll have to snap some pictures.

• gonativegal
    12 years ago

I am making a list of things to bring folks who requested.

Happy Gardener I will take a couple of the Carmen Sweet Peppers and a couple of the 'Oriental' Eggplant as well and a 'Nadia' Eggplant too.

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

Motria, I'll definitely grab you up a scabiosa o., and I'd love a bit of baptisia. If you like solomon's seal, maybe you'd like some false solomon's seal? aka smilacina? I just dug up a fair bit and unless it wilts too badly, I'll be bringing it.

Happy gardener--I have to go to my community plot and make sure I have the ribbon grass, but if I do, it's yours. My campanula is not white, alas.

Jas, monarda for you.

Ann

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

rolrod-I asked for the white-rimmed hostas. I'm envisioning a new green/white shade garden. I already have your strawberries packed up for you.

Gonativegal-I realized that they had apple sweet peppers too, which are also an elongated sweet. Would you like me to throw in one of those too?

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linnea, I would love some daffodils if avail. This year was year of some losses for me but that is life. My Prairie smokes are all gone, those that were mine and from Mones and you won't see my candelabra primulas, they all gone too. I have decided not to water my garden last year and let plants establish themselves and that path apperently was not wet enough...
    Mone, I also almost lost all of lamiums and so did Esther. If you have cutting to spare I appreciate it!

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Ellen, I'll dig up some Lamium for you. It's funny..not hahaha..when you mentioned losing Lamium. I don't seem to see a lot of them this spring either. I was sick again last summer, so my garden went to pot. Everything is overgrown and stuffed...really stuffed.
    I lost one of the ...what's chamacallit? That beautiful green heuchera like plant ...something grandiflora?
    And the garage builders killed my Oak Leaf Hydrangea.

I splurged last year and bought Hosta 'Sagae', 'Blue Angel' & Regal Splendor'. They are looking good right now.

• dorisl
    12 years ago

That beautiful green heuchera like plant ...tellima? I love that one!

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

I lost, of all things, a bunch of dianthus over the winter. The big snow, maybe.

I've potted up a few rosa glauca seedlings. They're tiny, but give 'em a couple of years. Some are bigger than others, so if anyone wants dibs, I'll save the biggest (which are 6" tall as opposed to 2" tall).

12 years ago

I was out of town for 4 days, now I need to catch up on this thread.

Motria, may I have some of the baptisia australis, if they are not all spoken for already, and some red monarda? That Raspberry Wine sounds good, too. All my monarda died out this year: I was so surprised.

Dirtdiver, can I have a rosa glauca seedling? I'm looking for something that will get big to place along a fence. I'm patient!

Ellen, I will bring the Ice Follies daffodils. I have lots, too. Sorry to hear about your lovely primulas being gone. Mine did not come back this year either: I thought maybe my garden was too wet?!

• motria
    12 years ago

Okay, baptisia for dirtdiver and linnea (plus monarda). Note that baptisia are slow growing and dont' like to be moved (taproot situation) so pick a good spot, give it some room, and be patient! They are beautiful and long-lived.

Dirtdiver - I'll take a pass on the smilacina. I guess I really want the variegated solomon's seal.. should just get it from a catalogue or store *gasp!*. Thanks for the offer!

• gonativegal
    12 years ago

HP I would love to get an apple pepper.

I have a dilemma as I only have one Jack potted and two people who want it. I actually dug up one from my own two plants since I have yet to get out to said client to dig them.

I am going to the client that has all the Jacks next week. He always lets me have whatever I want of them. I know Mone lives close to me in Chicago. Happy Gardener do you live close as well. Otherwise, I will give the Jack to you and drop off one with Mone at her house in the next week or two - she lives right over by a dear friend of mine which I visit a couple times a month. Mone I will dig the biggest one I can at Mike's house to compensate for the wait.

Jas - the Anenome 'September Charm' is potted up and ready to go. I also potted up one small Clover Currant. You will need to let it settle into the pot for the next several weeks as roots were compromised. Mine never produces fruit and I have had it for years. The flowers are very showy which leads me to believe it is probably a male. I need to somehow get a hold of a female myself.

Chitownlady - Prairie Smoke is ready to go too.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    12 years ago

weather being so beastly we are still pumping water out of our yards and it still might be on wet side by tomorrow so dress and wear shoes you need. I have few jacks seedlings which I could dig and pot to add to gonativegal. Actually I might be potting as swap goes along as things are bit behind with everything...
    Can't wait to see everyone though, wet or no wet! So far promise of no rain, hopefully it will hold.

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Oh, man, my yard is flooded. My 5 rain barrels were overflowed probably since alst night.

I potted up some seedlings yesterday. I still need to get Annabelle potted. Maybe tonight. WIll have to check WIllow if the cuttigns have any roots. I am way behind too. Bummer..

Does anyone have Mayapple? I would love a couple to add to my single shoot.

gonenative....I am going away 6/9 and won't be back until 7/1. :-) Up up and away to Ireland. lol.

12 years ago

I have a nice Penstemon, light pink. It is a sport of Husker's Red, foliage is just plain green. It showed up a few years ago and I didn't pull it out, wanting to see if it was worth saving. I like it just as much as Husker's Red, if not more. To me the light pink flowers look better against the green leaves. Good bloomer. Before I put it out on the table for grabs, anyone want it?

• jas_il
    12 years ago

Linnea, I would like Penstemon light pink. Thanks

Motria, can I have a Monarda 'Raspberry wine'?

Gonativegal, Thank you so much for anemone and clover current.

Dirdiver thank you so much for Monarda pale purple

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

gonativegal My friend who's coming to the swap with me has our extra pepper plants now. I'll send her an email and ask her to grab an apple pepper and hope that she didn't plant them all yet ;o) I'm out in the western suburbs so not close really, but I'm fine with lindalana's jack seedlings if they're available so that you don't need to make any future plant delivery trips near or not. I'm patient with them growing big in the future. Either way, I'm fine.

pitimpinai I have a big patch of mayapple in the forest preserve right behind my house but I don't think that I'm supposed to dig them up. Beautiful trillium back there too (sigh) I just try to poke around back there and satisfy myself with photos of them. Mayapple were in bloom when I checked over the weekend.

Very excited for tomorrow. Hoping for dry and not cold!

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

Gonativegal-Have the apple pepper. Will bring it with the other goodies.

• october17
    12 years ago

Oh boy. I sure hope I get to come. Hope it's slow at work and can have the night off. I don't have much dug up but I'll bring something! Have fun everyone if I don't make it!

• LilBlossom
    12 years ago

I'm not going to make it. Hubby just informed me that he has a work thing this afternoon. =o(

• chitownladyd
    12 years ago

Well wonderful gardeners, sorry I thought I could sneak away today and be part of the fun. Too many people took off at work today that I wasn't aware of, so I will have to wait 'till the next time.

Enjoy all your goodies, try to stay warm.

La Donna

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

So sorry to those who cannot join. I hope that you can come next year. It's so worth the effort to be there (IMO).

jas_il, if you see this can you clarify for me if you want a few eggplants TOTAL (aka 1 each of nadia, oriental, and beatrice) or if you want a few of each type for 9 total plants?

Karen-Haven't heard you on the thread but I know that we spoke over at tomatoes. Can you confirm if you'll be there today so I know if I should set your tomato in the reserved area?

Thanks!

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

Nevermind Karen-I just saw your email from yesterday. Sorry that you won't be there.

• jas_il
    12 years ago

I have few peppers and tomato plants. I thought to ask here before I put them for everybody to grab.

1. Cascabella hot pepper + Thai red hot (3)
    2. Mini purple hot + black pearl pepper (1)
    3. Sweet Corno Rosa (1)
    4. Calico pepper (1)
    5. Tomato Purple delight or purple dog creek (not sure which one since they mixed up (4)
    6. Tomato oxheart pink (2)

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

Hey jas_il, did you happen to see my question above about your eggplants?

• jas_il
    12 years ago

Happy, Sorry I really missed your post. If you have 9 I would be glad to take them all but if you don't have then one each would be fine.

I love eggplants so I can use them and may be give 2-3 to one of my friends who really looking for it

Thanks

• motria
    12 years ago

Jas-IL: monarda 'raspberry wine' is ready for you.

Everyone else: I still have several Baptisia (blue false indigo) seedlings. I can save you one or just look for me.. I'll be there early, wearing a cute baby and chasing another 3-year-old. :-)

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

jas_il: I'll see what I have left and send them all your way.

motria...since you still have some left, I'd love a Baptisia seedling. I found a spot for it in the back yard flower beds (where there's a will there's a way).

• rolrod
    12 years ago

Happy - hostas are dug up. I got most of a very large plant, and then another more medium sized one. It's a heavy box. =)

I'm not bringing this with, but I have a Potentilla that needs some lovin. If anyone is interested, you are more than welcome to come to my place and pluck it out...assuming you can do that with a potentilla. I'd post a picture, but I don't know how.

I'm not sure my cannas are going to make it, or I'd bring some of those. My landlady put them out too soon and I'm worried they may have died.

I have a huge yard, so I will take any suggestions. I'll have pictures on my phone if anyone is interested.

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

Thanks to our excellent hosts for another great swap, and it was nice to see and meet people. Jas--somehow I never noticed your arrival, and since I neglected to put your name on your monarda, it was still on the "hold" shelf long after you left. If you ever find yourself in Evanston, I'll be happy to custom-dig a chunk.

• happygardener23
    12 years ago

Another heartfelt thank you to our hosts and to the generous swappers who brought such lovely things to share. I am delighted with the new garden additions that I brought home and will now patiently await a dry day to get them in the ground. I introduced my brother and a friend to the swap and they were equally thrilled with the opportunity to share their extras and bring home new treasures, so I pass along thanks on their behalf as well.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All those plants that were given me by my gardening friends over the years never fail to deliver sunshine to my life and to my garden. Plants meant to have a history coming with them and generous hands and hearts that raised them.
    Thank you everyone for bringing joy and light to other peoples gardens.
    Thank you for bringing your friends and spreading word around.... I hope one or two new gardeners will get a solid start on their new addiction with our help.
    Happy gardening challenges and if anyone has suggestions how to make it work better for next years to come, shoot me an email.
    Ann, Annette and Mone - there are no words.... thank you!

12 years ago

Thanks to Ellen and Esther for hosting and organizing the swap, and sharing your plants and your gardens so freely. It's a major undertaking, so I appreciate it!

Thanks to Motria for Baptisia and Monarda, Dirtdiver for rosa glauca and anemone; Mone and gonativegal, for a bunch of good stuff. For some of you I know your GW name, others your real name, and I don't always match them up, so please pardon me if I've overlooked you. Thanks also to all those whose names I don't know, who shared their bounty with me.

My garden thanks you! Now I await a sunny day.....

• jas_il
    12 years ago

Thank you Ellen and Esther for hosting yet another nice swap.

dirtdiver, thank you so much for the kind offer. I almost grabbed the monarda you brought but since my name was not on it so I thought it might be for somebody else so I left it there. Anyway yesterday I have picked up the Monarda you brought for me from Ellen's place. Thanks

Gonativegal, somehow I missed your plants. I am really sorry for that. I thought to email you but your email link was not on GW. Thank you so much for taking time and bringing it for me. I really apologize.

Happygardener, Thank you so much for the lots of egg plants, celery, and for sage. Yesterday I could plant them in my raised bed. can't wait to see them grow.

Motria, thank you so much for the Monarda raspberry wine

Doris, nice to meet you and thank you so much for lemon balm and Monarda. Every time I see you, you look different not sure next time when I see you if I recognize. :)

Linnea, thank you so much for penstemon, phlox and aster can't wait to grow them.

Jasmine

• dorisl
    12 years ago

I ran over to the mall after the swap on Friday and loaded up on the discarded tulip bulbs. Planted about half of them. The other half are in the garage and some got a little icky from sitting in the plastic bag. :(

Jasmine, I looked even more different all dirty from the tulip bulbs. :)

Its fun to see the plants grow and remember who they came from. You don't always know, tho. Ive got some great Iris blooming, I know they came from the swap, but don't know whose they were. Ill have to post a pic!

• dirtdiver
    12 years ago

By the way...
    Someone walked in with the most gorgeous aquilegias--they were big plants, in flower with what looked like creamsicle-orange blooms. I didn't manage to snag one, but can anyone tell me if they were a specific cultivar? I sure wouldn't mind having a few seeds for those.

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Thank you so very much, Ellen, and everyone. Another fun day. It was so good to see all of you.

Thank you happy and Ellen & all... for the goodies.
    They were planted on Sat except a few tomatoes for my next door neighbor.

happy, those veggies are the healthiest looking ones I have ever seen. They are happily growing in my new vegetable garden. :-)
    And Ellen, I planted 25 tomatoes in my new cedar bed. lol. If all of them grow,.........watch out!
    I am planning to share them with my neighbor's family.
    This lovely neighbor built my new fence and the cedar box surrounding the veg bed....and didn't charge me a cent.....

• gonativegal
    12 years ago

Ellen & Esther thank you so much for hosting the swap. I had great meeting up with everyone again (Doris, Linnea, Annette, Mone, Carey) plus meeting new folks.

I finally just got all my goodies planted and passed along the ones I picked up for other folks. I've always spent yesterday admiring all my past goodies from folks during the last two swaps.

Also, Mone I finally got over to that place and dug you a huge Jack about two feet tall. I will try and get it to you before the 9th otherwise I will drop off after you get back from vacation.

Jas - I was sorry we somehow missed but I sent you a note to say that I still have the currant and anenome for you. Same goes for Chitown Lady regarding Prairie Smoke. Just sent me a note at serena.joyner@att.net in the week or so and I will hold them for you. Maybe we can meetup or if you are close by I drop off.

• rolrod
    12 years ago

Ellen & Esther - thank you so much for your hospitality. I had a great time at my second Swap and I enjoyed chatting with the gals.

Apparently I had a lot of yardwork to do just to prepare the beds, but I finally go all the goodies in. Some did not make it, unfortunately, but most did.

Lesson learned - tackled the garden before you get plants. I have a forest of what I think are lesser burdocks or burweeds under my pine trees that I need to destroy. I'll scour the Gardenweb for some info on that.

Thanks Again all!

Sponsored