SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

another new lawn gone bad

kek19
17 years ago

Hi Yard Dr!

I too have a newer home. It was built in spring of 2005. We planted grass seed in the fall of 2005. Our builder suggested to us to use a seed mix w/ high amounts of annual rye in it so it would fill in faster. Well it sprouted nicely, started off great, I was able to control the weeds as they started popping up, but then winter came, and spring. Last summer, it wasn't so bad, weeds started filling in where the annual died off, I kept up on pulling them. But by fall it got out of hand. Now I'm left w/ a yard, well land, full of broadleaf weeds (I think) with they occasional grass. I also did a cheap-o soil test. (My husband keeps saying why bother w/ the grass because our soil's so bad we'll have to start over. It appears that the soil is clay w/ a layer of sand on top, and the topsoil was back filled against the house, ug.) That soil test said I have low N, Very low Phos. and low Potash. I had bought some 12-12-12 fertilizer for my garden, so I threw that outside, oh about 2 weeks ago. Didn't think about the fact that it was quick release till afterwards. It did green up quite a bit, well until this cold snap came through. My plan was to try and pull the weeds, one little section at a time, a couple hours a day (I have an acre lot) Then throw down some better seed, and after that germinates apply some slow release fertilizer w/ weed preventer. Do you think that will work, or will it just be a waste of my time? Is there an easier way to deal w/ the weeds than pulling them one by one? Also someone mentioned using alfalfa pellets as a fertilizer, does that work?

{{gwi:1353812}}

(this pic was taken on a cloudy day right after the winter snow melted)

Can I save this with out starting over w/ new topsoil?

Comment (1)