Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to Fertilize New Lawn?

Posted by rumbleseat NH (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 7:43

Hi Lawn Doctor,

It's been about four weeks since we planted our new lawn (ryegrass and bluegrass). We've had a TON of rain in the last month and we're thinking that maybe instead of waiting until six weeks to fertilize the lawn (as per seed manufacturer's instructions), we should do it now because of all the rain. We heard somewhere that heavy rain "washes away" the fertilizer. We're noticing many weeds and little critters in the lawn. What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to Fertilize New Lawn?

Dear Rumbleseat,

Thank you very much for the inquiry. I agree with you, it is time to fertilize the lawn again. On new seedings, I like to go at 4 and 8 weeks after seeding. Keep using a starter fertilizer that has a soluble N source. This will provide nutrients quickly to young plants. You can go with a more traditional combination slow and quick release nitrogen fertilizer this fall.

Once you have mowed the lawn twice, go ahead and start if you have not already, you can control the broadleaf weeds with a three-way herbicide like Tri-Mec. If you have crabgrass, you may want to add Drive (quinclorac) at a 1/3 rate.

Again thanks for the inquiry.

Respectfully,

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o
RE: Time to Fertilize existing Lawn?

I am a new resident, and owning new house with a existing lawn. I don,t what is type of grass , what fertilizer and when to use it? but I think I missed the first chance to fertilise the grass. So need an advice from you.

o
RE: Time to Fertilize New Lawn?

We had a patio put in and the grass that was harvested from where the patio was laid was used to fill the ruts from the heavy equipment. What fertilizer would be best to urge rapid growth. Avg temps run high 70F to 100F. The grass is st. Augustine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here