Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hydroseed

Posted by mnk716 6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 10:54

Hi,

I am building a new home on zone 6 CT. it will be completed by 7/31. i have elected to hydroseed the lawn as it is more cost effective than sod. I will have a 9 zone sprinkler system installed.

My question is hydroseed a good way to seed?
What should I do about fertilizer? Should i wait until the fall or use a summer fertilizer?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hydroseed

Dear MNK,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Hydroseed is a fine way to establish your lawn. Because you will be putting down the seed in August, you should put down a starter fertilizer that has a 1-2-1 ratio of N-P2O5-K2O. Put this down before your put down the hyrdroseed.

An alternative to hyrdoseeding which I like better involves more work, but it is a more fool proof method. Put the fertilizer down, and then the seed with a drill seeder in two directions. Then cover the seed with the hydromulch (that what it is at this point). Now you know you have good seed to soil contact and you have good coverage.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o
RE: New Hydroseed

I have built a house and had somebody come over and hydroseed my house and I would like to get into the business, can you send me a guide on how to hydroseed? I am located in Robinson, Texas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here