Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
if the soil is so bad to begin with -- chem or organic?

Posted by mamimo z5 IN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 11:51

I've heard it said before that in a new yard, organic methods are less effective. Is there any truth to this?

Currently my new yard consist of heavy compacted clay with hardly any organic matter or topsoil. For a variety of reasons, I would like to garden as organically as possible. However, I've found this to be rather challenging given the poor soil condition. Would going chemical give my yard a better headstart, especially in terms of soil fertility and solving pest and disease problems? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: if the soil is so bad to begin with -- chem or organic?

Dear Mamimo,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. There is some truth to everything you wrote, and a whole book could be written on the very subject you mentioned. However, I want to give you some advice that I think will help your lawn situation and keep everyone happy. Consider adding high quality compost to your soil. Spread a 1-2 inch layer and till into a three inch depth. You will amend the soil, add nutrients, and improve many aspects. Investigate your area and see if anyone is into an industrial compost operation. Often, garden centers and Universities have there types of centers. I think this may help you.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here