Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transforming hayfield to lawn

Posted by pacountrygirl_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 12:52

We are building our dream home in a very rural, wooded area, along the the back of a river & the edge of an existing hay field (south western Pennsylvania). Early on, I felt fortunate, thinking all we needed to do was cut the grass & we would have instant yard. After the initial cutting (3 weeks ago) with the DR field trimmer, we have now been able to cut it twice with a regular lawn mower. Although it has the appearance of "a lawn", it is not the soft grass that calls you to kick off your shoes and walk bare foot. Will the thick stemmed grasses eventually die out now that we are cutting it regularly? Should we over seed in order to thicken & soften? I am reluctant to apply a weed & feed type product as it will be costly to treat 2+ acres and eventually it is our desire to transform at least 1 acre into a wildflower meadow.
Anxiously waiting to feel the cool soft grass under my toes & greatful for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transforming hayfield to lawn

Dear Pa Country Girl,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The frequent mowing will get rid of grasses that are not suited for lawns, just because they cannot take the mowing, so keep doing this regularly. As for overseeding, I would use a general mix of Kentucky bluegrass/perennial ryegrass/and fine fescue at 150 lbs/Acre. Seed this around Labor Day and keep mowing. Fertilize at time of seeding with a starter fertilizer.

As far as weed control, you choose the area you want to control. You can apply a product called Trimec (or Weed B Gon plus crabgrass killer) now and/or again in early October.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o
RE: Transforming hayfield to lawn

Would the process be the same if the hay field was in or around Birmingham, Alabama?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here