SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

Repairing a lawn with 'buried rock syndrome'

girlfromthegarden
17 years ago

The house I bought five years ago is in a neighborhood where the original land was previously a farm, and the developers stripped much of the top soil from the lots while constructing the houses (my house is almost twelve years old). The front yard suffers from massive amounts of buried rock within a few inches of the surface, and in the heat of summer, the patches where rock is near the top of the dirt are obvious as areas that crisp up and die back unless watered like crazy. The grass itself is scanty and poor across two-thirds of the front. My son and I will probably try to dig up some of these areas, remove the embedded rocks and then try to re-seed, best done as a fall project, we're thinking. But I'm concerned as to what I'd need to add to fill in the volume of what the removed rocks had occupied, as well being leery of creating an inadvertent patchwork effect with new grass of an improved variety blending with adjoining areas of rougher turf.

Do you recommend a best way to approach this laborious effort, in order to give the lawn its best make-over? The front yard also slopes a fair degree, has two moderate-sized trees stuck on each side of lawn (separated by driveway), which have pervasive root systems trying to find moisture amongst all the rocks! and tends to have bare patches and weed cover from the poor growing conditions caused by the hostile root zone. Thanks for advice!

Sherry

(central Indiana, living over what was formerly old riverbed)

Comments (7)