SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Mulching grass seed with grass seed? etc.

bmorepanic
17 years ago

I have a very small lawn - er, well at least 50% lawn and, in some places, 50% broadleaf unmentionables. On the rear lawn, I tested weed-be-gon max and it was brilliant. Didn't migrate or kill anything in the garden borders and the 50% they-who-shall-not-be-named were gone. But it left, of course, only 50% grass. It's been almost three months and we still have, er, only 50% grass.

We have mixed soils back there including red clays, white clays, organic matter - all together it is about 18" deep DIRECTLY OVER three feet of limestone dust. So, normal soil tests don't have scales for how basic this soil is. The only other kinda odd thing is that it had almost no nitrogen. We have worked on that and have established trees, bushes and flowers. I throw around a little ironrite or urea every once in a while. Compaction is our best friend and areation does just about nothing.

Er, grass? I can not get fescues to start back there at all, nor ryegrass. Blue grass will start somewhat - that's what the other 50% is. Either death soon follows - OR - its living and the original 50% died.

The front is sorta the same soil without the limestone and without the weed-b-gon and freshly seeded perenial rye grass is very merrily making babies and is, in fact, finally outperforming the dock weed.

It's had lots of water, sun, food and grass seed. It is about 10-15 feet wide and goes in an arc of about 75 feet around the back of the house. All the rest of my city lot is shrubs, trees and flowers.

er, Grass? I keep trying to overseed and it has eaten about 7 lbs of seed (since waiting the required 6 weeks).

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!