Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Grasses that will grow in my area

Posted by calimami CA - San Jose (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 17:20

My dog has a severe grass allergy to our lawn (Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Mix). He has to take anti-histimes every day. I'm getting an allergy test done on him in hopes of finding some other type(s) of grass to plant that he is not allergic to.

The standard Northern California regional allergy test will include: Bermuda, Meadow Fescue, Red Top, Johnson, Brome, Cultivated Rye, and Wild Rye.

There are 14 other types of grass that they can test for, but I would have to pay extra to test any of these. Can you tell me if any of the following would work as LAWN GRASS IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA? We are in a moderately dry climate near San Jose, CA. I would like to test as many options to hopefully find one that will work for my dog, but I don't want to waste my money on unnecessary tests.

Sweet Vernal
Orchard
Perennial Rye
Timothy
Common Reed
June (Kentucky Blue)
Velvet
Cultivated Oat
Cultivated Wheat
Meadow Foxtail
Bahia
Canary grass
Couch
Sudan grass
Salt grass

THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Grasses that will grow in my area

Dear Calimami,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Your question is unique. My first thoughts are to check out Kentucky bluegrass and creeping red fescue (in the fescue family, so this may not be good, but you never know). KBG will need water, no doubt. The fine fescue will not need as much, and they do mix well. Good luck.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

How do you best handle red thread?

I have several spots in my lawn that have red thread. Last year I did a couple of treatments on the whole lawn using a Scott lawn disease treatment....but that is expensive because it's a big lawn. This year I have been treating the areas of greatest impact;I also use a thatcher several times a year. My lawn looks a lot better this year, but I can still see patches of red thread.

Personally, I'm thinking my best bet is re-seed with a grass that is more resistant to red thread. I was thinking of trying Jonathan Green Black Beauty. What do you think is the best course of action?

o

Dear Hosta guy,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Red thread is a fungus typically associated with low nitrogen fertility. The recommendation is often nitrogen fertilizer as this will simply allow the plant to grow and out compete the fungus. This would be my first course of action.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here