Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Vicary Privet disease

Posted by lindago1 z7OK (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 17:51

I have recently planted a Privet. It has a few small holes in the leaves and also some of the leaves are curling. Can you recommend a treatment.

Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Vicary Privet disease

Dear Linda Go,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I asked my garden expert Susan Gruber for a little help on this one. See her response below.

There are several insects that can cause small holes and/or leaf curling on privet. I would advise taking a sample to a local nursery or extension expert to get a positive ID of the pest before attempting control. It may not be beneficial to apply a pesticide at this point.
Leaf curling of foliage on newly planted shrubs may also be a sign of water stress. Be sure the plant gets a good soaking once a week. Allow the soil to become almost dry between waterings.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

I have several Golden Vicary Privets in my yard and recently noticed a power mold growing on them. Is this a danger to my shrubs and if so how do I go about treating them before damage occurs?

o

I have 8 golen privets they are all about 10 yrs old. 2 of them facing south are again doing fine the other 6 appear to be in trouble 2 are facing south and 4 are facing the west. All have done very well over the years but the later 6 are now a grey/green color and do not appear to be growing. Are the dying or is it some sort of disease? Anything I can do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here