SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

weeding and feeding our lawn

san_
17 years ago

we moved here 10 years ago and our lawn certainly isn't anything to brag about, but it's looking better than it did then. we have some vegetation we'd like to make disappear (such as the dandelions but worse than that is AJUGA!) and would like to encourage the clover and rye and whatever other types of grasses that are growing here. there are limitations to what we can do though, and that's my main concern.

we actively feed the birds and have other sorts of wildlife that pass through here (such as ducks, chipmunks, squirrels, muskrats, racoons, etc) and we live on a lake--the water table is only 6" below ground. we've avoided herbicides with the exception of very limited use of "round up" (the label says it is "safe" after it has dried) and the only fertilizer we've used was a couple of seasons ago--something that was encased in corn gluten--supposed to be a slow release that wouldn't hurt the wildlife. i think the ducks ate most of it :)

i know it's a very tall order but are there products on the market that would encourage the growth of lawn grasses, and others that would kill weeds, without contributing to weed growth in the lake AND not harm the wildlife? if not, that's perfectly ok--we can live with things as they are. but if there is something that would work for us, we'd certainly love to hear about it!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor