Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornmeal for fungus control

Posted by turf_toes SE Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 20:33

Ok. There's been a lot of debate on the lawn forum about whether cornmeal truly is a cure/preventative for lawn-type fungi.

The proponents point to a study of peanut fungus by Texas A&M. But I recently read an article by a Texas A&M professor who said that corn meal is not effective for lawn disease.

At this point, I'm not sure what to believe. Do you have any opinions on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornmeal for fungus control

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

Dear turf toes

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Corn meal as an organic fungus control? Yes I believe it is possible and that both people you are referencing could be right, but only to a point. My experience with most biological type controls is that they can be effective if a) the problem is not too severe, or b) they are put down consistently and persistently at rates that allow total dominance of a landscape. I have not read this particular article, but I will give you an example with corn gluten meal, a well established biological product in the area of preemergent herbicides for crabgrass. The original research articles from the early 1990s did indeed show that this product was effective in providing control against crabgrass as long the crabgrass pressure was not to severe (as in the case of most home lawns). If there is a bare ground area with heavy crabgrass seed pressure in the soil, the data showed this product was not as effective as traditional preemergent herbicides. This is the case with many of these biological products. They will perform well under moderate conditions, but not as well under extreme conditions. I suspect that this is the case in the corn meal you are referring and that is why both people are probably correct.

Finally, for fungus control in home lawns, remember this first. Fungus love water and fertilizer and will flourish in warm, wet, damp areas. Do what you can to mitigate these situations first, and your disease issues will be minimized.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o

We have had a local problem with brown patch for about three years now, and more seriously, take-all patch. Several golf courses had to be completely re-sodded, and multiple lawns, too, with take-all patch.

The only curative/preventative I have come across and that has been recommended time and again is if you have heavy fungal presence, use the recommended dosage for curative treatement, using granular Daconil in a broadcast spreader, following instructions to get to preventative dosage, if necessary.

I do not recall whether Daconil was the product recently discussed as being taken off the market; it could a completely different product at issue. It was still on the shelves early spring. At any rate, if it is not the product that is being taken off the market, granular Daconil is much more effective for lawns than the liquid base. Feed and Seed-type stores usually carry it. It has proven quite effective.

Dianne

o

• Posted by
    Carl Covey MO 64779
    (carl@klmtel.net) on
    Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 12:59

Where can you buy Horticultural cornmeal in Missouri. Every where I try say that they have never hear of it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here