Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown grass over septic tank

Posted by rosiehb 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 22:27

About this time of year every year, we start to get a big rectangular brown spot on top of the place where our septice tank is. It's roughly 4 feet wide and 12 feet long, and I assume its because we haven't had rain in about 10 days.

No matter how much we water it, the area stays brownish. The septic tank/house is only 4 years old.

What causes the grass to look dead here and is there anything to do to prevent it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown grass over septic tank

Yes, we have this issue also. We have a brown patch over the area where our septic tank is also.

I look forward to hearing what causes this and how we can 'green' this area up. Our house is also new by two years.

Thanks.

o

The issue here is the shallow soil system above the septic tank and the fact that the roots run out of water fairly quickly. So keeping the grass well watered is one idea and making sure the grass is not ever allowed to deteriorate.

I have no indication of your locations (state?) and so now am assuming a cool season grass.

The grass will go brwon in the shape of the area below it. I ahve seen this with boards, concrete patches, etc.

Another idea worth broaching is to put something there other than grass that you can still get to the tank, but not have the unsightliness.

Let me know the states.

o

our tanks are 18 inches below soil surface, so the grass goes dormant there, like the rest of the backyard in the summer. if putting plants over your shallow tanks, just remember you will need to dig out 2 twenty four inch circles ther every 4-5 years for the tanks to get pumped out. (Just had it done $340 + $25 per foot dug down-we dug down to the access circles outselves to save a few $-put grass & soil on a tarp to make it easier)(if you don't get it pumped, the solids will enter the field which will be $$$$$$).

o

We are in West Tennessee.

Thanks for your help.

o

West TN also. We have Bermuda grass.

o

We live in Massachusetts and have the same brown patch over septic tank issue and was wondering how a perennial garden of low root wild flowers would do?? Does anyone have any experience with this and names of seeds to purchase?

o

We have the same issue and live in South Mississippi. We will begin a regular watering program to attempt to rectify the problem.

o

I have the same brown spots,but the ground is also sunken in over the tank. Can I add more dirt to level it out? We have very little rain and are on a regular watering program. The grass around the brown spot is very green and healthy so I don't think there is a lack of water. Could there be another problem? Thanks.

o

LOL...guys your tanks are giving off methane gas... That is why no matter how much you water, it still turns brown in the exact shape of the holding areas underneath. Add rid-X or comparable...Good luck

o

The house and tank is 7 years old.No grass seed will grown on it, not any colour. It's a great bare patch the same size and shape as the tank, which of course is right where we can see it all day. I have even tried the seed which is supposed to grown on concrete and cement.

o

I can't thank you enough for this forum. I just noticed today the rectangle brown grass above our septic tank and needless to say I was abit freaked over it. We've been in the house for six years and this is the FIRST time this has happened; of course the temps have been high 90's for weeks so I'm sure that has added to the problem. Southern MS is taking a beating with this heat and humidity ! Thanks again .. I think I can actually go to sleep now.

o

Hi
i've had problem with brown, dead, grass over septic.I had ppl come out, drain septic, " fix" my baffle, (replace 4 ft of pipe going from septic out to the T to my drain field) I put 7 inche ssoil directly ontp of my septic, re-sodded. Also had to re-sod parts of my grass above my drain feild that looked like miniture crop circles of dead grass systematiclly placed.
All on June 15-20 2009. Today July 02 2009, I look at my front yard and see the grass die'ing around my septic ( the mound directly over my septic has yet to die .. i think due to xtra soil i placed ) I call a septic tank company and they tell me its the " gas" not being flushed out enough; only 2 ppl here in my home and not enough water being used,going through.. through my septic and drain field pipes to flush the gas's out. We dont use enough water to flush out the gas's. Also told the drought we had causes the gases to not be flushed out.. hence not enough water to flush out gas's. So untill thre is enough water to compensate for the drought we had, my grass will stay dead or continue to die. So whos to say my drain field pips are'nt crushed that make it hard for water to properly flow through out the pipes .. to flush out the gas's? This is my front lawn, small; but I along with my neighbors have to look at it everyday and this is the first time it has done that since we lived here in 05. Why now? Do i really have to use much more water to flush out gas's through my septic & pipes? Do i need to put more rid-x in my system ? Should i get an industrial strength type of rid-x from a septic company to kick start my septic anorobic system? any info would be appricated. I'll try to post back to let you know whats going on.

o
RE: Brown grass over drain field

We have long stripes of brown grass over the drain field. They aren't brown all year long. Just in the hotest part of summer. Would like to know what causes that. We look like we have a stripped lawn.

o

We have brown grass over the septic tank and the drain field. Our house (and septic) is less than a year old. Sounds like water and rid-x may be the answer. I look forward to learning more. Thanks.

o

I heard from contractor that if you dig up topsoil and put plastic or foam board over top of tank then fill in with topsoil and plant grass you might have a better chance. Has any one tried this? Would this be harmful to tank if foam did not let the gas fumes escape?

o

We have a huge striped area in the lawn over the septic field. (I just walked it off, and it's about 1,600 square feet) It's bad pretty much the entire year. We have city sewer now, and have so for many years.

I'd rather not have to pay to have everything dug up and hauled away. Would paying to have several inches of topsoil added fix the problem?

I'm in Michigan, and the soil around my home is sandy / clay to begin with which already causes the lawn to dry out and go brown rather fast

o

I live in arkansas , same problem. This house is 4 yrs old first time this has happened! Help!!

o

My grass has started to turn brown also this past year. The person that posted about only two people living in the house makes sense. My grass has always been green over the septic tank until both of my sons moved out last year. So not enough usage makes sense.

o

Same problem since daughter got married and moved out. Just two of us now. (No more sleepovers with 6-8 teenage girls). Will dig up, get a barrier over cover, replace soil and get back to you all.

o

We've been in our SE FL home for almost 12 yrs. & dealt with a plethora of septic issues/problems. Have had several people come out - most of whom tried to sell us a new system (& drainage field). Considering how close we are to the water table, that would mean bringing in truckloads of soil to build up property - tens of thousands of dollars at min. Then we discovered a miraculous product that brought new life to field from a local co. - Septic Remedy. Only recently did this brown patch appear over drainage field. I was worried. But we are down to only the 2 of us & we have had a serious drought - so THANK YOU FOR INFO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here