SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanb_tx

New construction, new lawn - need advice

susanb_TX
17 years ago

We moved into our new house mid December. We did plant winter grass seed and it took over (however, there are lots of areas that are still just dirt. We now need to plant St. Augustine (hopefully smothering out the winter grass) and landscape the gardens. We have one acre and its heavily wooded with mostly Oaks but lots of pine too. We took out as many pine trees as we possibly could. There are lots of holes and divets. And since we don't have out gutters yet, the rains have dug trenches in various places around the house. We put down about 20 flats of grass around a fountain and garden but we just laid it on top of the ground. I just read that we may need to cover the ground with hay? I never heard of this. Could you tell me the correct steps we need to take in planting grass. Of course, we can't afford to put flats all over, we were just going to put them around the perimeter of the house and then maybe seed the rest??? We don't want the lawn to be perfectly flat - we'd like it to be sortof hilly to add dimension, and to plant a few gardens beneath and surrounding some of the trees.

Comments (3)