Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't grow grass

Posted by shellyrose MS (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 23:57

We can't get grass to grow. We have tried sod and seed and no luck. Some of the soil is dirt/sand like because we live close to a creek. Do you have any suggestions as to what we can do to get grass to grow? I'm sick of the messy dirt and mud when it rains. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't grow grass

Dear Shelly Rose

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I am going to need some more information in order to guide you into having a nice lawn. Specifically, tell me climate where you live and the environment of the lawn (shade, soil, etc) I look forward to hearing back from you.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

Thanks for replying. We live in the northeast part of Mississippi. We live in the country. Most of our property is surrounded by large oak trees (shade). We do have grass (centipede) growing in other areas of the yard which are shaded as well. The soil in the problem area is really sandy. In some spots there is a green, mossy covering growing. Please let me know if you need any other information.

o

Dear Shelly Rose

Thank you very much for your direction. My first approach would be to amend the soil in the top 3 inches with some compost. My idea here is to provide a little better water holding capacity for the turf to root. I would probably then go back and try centipedegrass one more time, make sure I put down a starter fertilizer before I put down the grass, and kept it well watered (but not waterlogged) for the first three weeks. Let me know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

Mr. Rogers,

Thanks for your advice. We are going to give it a try and I will let you know the outcome.

o

Hello we have the same problem with our grass, but in our case we have a big Maple Tree right in the middle of our yard and some tree roots have come up... We can not get seed or sod to take in that area...

o

We are unable to grow grass. We are in the Pocono's where the weather is unpredictable. The area in question is almost completely in the shade. The ground is very hard with rocks. Tried quite a number of things with no success. Is there any chance of a green lawn

o

We just removed a huge sweet gum tree in our front yard. We had the stump removed and we removed all the old mulch from the tree. It created a huge whole which we filled in with high quality top soil. We planted seed and used starter fertilizer. The grass came up and it is now starting to turn light green or yellowish like it is dying out.(after 1 month) We have had quite a bit of rain, but the other surrounding areas we planted seem to be ok. It is just where the hole was.

o

I live in maryland and I have a very small backyard that has nothing but dirt in it,I have tried growing grass even the expensive stuff,I have used fertilizers,I put hay down to try and grow it and once it starts to grow it just stops..the dirt in my backyard is so dry that it looks crackled all over and all that grows is weeds...Ive tried everything I can think of PLEASE HELP!

o

we live in East TN. We have spent lots and lots of money trying to get grass to grown in our front yard. We hired TruGreen for 2 years..and now our yard is even worse. We have big bare spots and lots of weeds..some of the weeds have thick stems and looks kinda like what if found in field on famers...another is a low weed that spread and roots go with the spreading. The subdivision is about 20 years old, we have the worse yard in the subdivision and we work the hardest. I have taken pictures of our yard, right now I have piles of weeds in our drive and it isn't a drop in a bucket of what is left. It is terrible and we have put many, many hours trying to fix the problem..and it hurts to walk on the yard w/o shoes...irrigating, compost, top soils, plowed..weed and seed and much more thru the years. Our front yard is on the East side of the house. If you can think of anything we may not have tried.please advise. It is bare, full of thick weeds that look like small trees growing, Bermuda grass, stickers you name it..and TrueGreen only got rid of the dandelions.

o

I live in a full sun area in the Eastern Panhandle of WV (Martinsburg). I live on a hill and it is mainly made up of shale. Grass will grow on the slopes but not on the flat upper part. I have tried peat moss & top soil it just seems to run down the hill side. Please Help!!!!!

o

Please help, We live on 3 acres in a house that was built by my in laws about 35 years ago. We use to have grass but now all the hard woods and pine woods have created so much shade it blocks any sun. Also all are top soil has washed away. Would appreciate any help. Thank You,

o

WE BUILD OUR HOUSE THREE YRS AGO ON A GRAVEL BANK. WE USED THE LOOM THAT HAD BEEN STOCKED PILE (HUGE PILE) FOR 12 YEARS. ALL WE END UP GETTING IS CRAB GRASS SOME PATCHY AREAS OF GRASS AND SOME MOSS. WE HAVE APPROX 4 ACRES OF LAWN. THE ONLY TREES ARE ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE. EASTERN CONNECTICUT. DIRECT SUN ALL DAY. PLEASE HELP. WE HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY ONLY TO LOOK OUT AND SEE DEAD GRASS. THREE YEARS OF TRYING NOTHING YET.

o
Trouble with grass

I would appreciate any help it is a shaded area I have layed soil, tilled and threw down shaded seed. I have grass growing in spots. How do I get it to grow in the other areas? I water all the time and cant get anything. Please help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here