Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Lawn After Disruption

Posted by rucnmom 5 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 8:33

We completed an addition to our home last year. The construction process and the installation of a new leach field caused major disruption.

We are now getting around to reinstalling our lawn. Succession is not just an abstract concept in an ecology text!

I guess I'll be hiring someone to spray the vegetation. What sort of herbicide should be used considering that we want to seed the lawn soon after? Is there anything else we should be considering?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Lawn After Disruption

Dear Mom,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The easiest and most efficient herbicide for you to utilize is glyphosate (Roundup). Shoot for a seeding date of August 15-20, so apply the herbicide August 1-5. Smooth the ground and slope it away from the house for water movement. This may be the most important thing you do as water is king and to redo a slope or area that is already grass is not fun.

If you need to add 2-3 inches of topsoil, make sure of the source and try to check it out beforehand. Add a starter fertilizer at time of seeding and then again 30 days after seeding.

There are some good websites to check for more information.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here