Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sprinkler frustration

Posted by arcy MN zn 3/4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 12:09

I am having a heck of a time with clogged sprinklers. I am on a well. My three arm twirlers stopped twirling and I found one arm FULL of larva type worms. My front sprayer worked fine last week and this week I found it clogged with tiny green leaves. It took me 45 minutes to get water to flow once again. What gives and how does one keep them from clogging up? Lime deposits would make more sense to me but that is so not the problem. I have my sprinklers attached to smaller hose sections and sitting in the gardens 24/7. This way I just attach the yard hose to each area as I go and I do not have to get muddy shoes or risk trampling plants. I place the sprinklers each spring before the perennials are up. How in the world are they getting leaves and worms in them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sprinkler frustration

Dear Arcy,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. This is a unique question, no doubt. I do not have a ready answer, only suggestions. First, I would think there is something from outlet to sprinkler causing some issue and I would inspect and flush from the sprinkler backwards. Is your home on the same line? Any issues in there?

I will try to get some more information. Sorry to not be real helpful.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

Yes, the house is on the same line. We have a whole house filter the water passes through I assumed all the water goes through, but I will check on it. Maybe the yard lines do not. The hose the sprinklers are attached to is clear of critters/leaves. I am beginning to believe for some reason this "leaf" growth finds the perfect climate in my aluminum sprinkler. It is the sort that extends vertically up to four feet. As for the worms, I suppose something crawled in and again, liked the government. It sure is aggravating is all I know for sure.

o

Dear Arcy,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. From my garden friend, Susan Gruber:
The small, moist spaces in your sprinklers make attractive hiding places for a wide variety of insects. They are likely to lay eggs, form cocoons, and cache food in them as long as they are permanently placed in the garden. If you would rather not disconnect and store the sprinklers after each use, perhaps a daily irrigation cycle of 3-5 minutes per sprinkler would flush out the insects before their activity can cause clogs.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

So we are thinking the leaves packed into three feet of aluminum pipe is somethings food storage? I was beginning to think it was some odd growth, but how do the leaves get green in the dark?
Thank-you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here